Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir

Monday we got to have lunch with Brian's Uncle Eric, Aunt Joanne and cousins Kyle and Corinne. It was nice to spend some time with family. 

Afterwards, we decided to enjoy the sunshine and took a walk across the center of Central Park. We entered the park around 81st street. It looks a lot different without any leaves on the trees. It is still such a pretty place and was so peaceful. We hadn't been through this section of the park before, and were able to see some new things.


I spotted this holly tree. I love holly plants, but have never seen one so large before.


After walking northeast for a little while, we crossed this cute little bridge and came to the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir.


The reservoir covers 106 acres, holds over a billion gallons of water, and was used to supply water to Manhattan until it was decommissioned in 1993.

 
It is a beautiful area. The water was so blue. I loved the openness of the area with the city rising around the perimeter.


The reservoir is ringed by a path used for jogging, biking and walking. It was so nice just to stroll along the pathway together and enjoy the day.


I loved the grasses growing along the edge of the water.


There is a fountain in the reservoir that was kind of cool.







 



I loved the gnarly trunks of these trees.


Once we reached the east side of the park we spotted the Guggenheim.


We crossed over on 90th street to go get a closer look at the Guggenheim and saw this church on the corner. I love all the different church buildings in New York. 


I really like the design of the building, but I always pictured in my mind that it would be taller. Maybe I'm just getting to used to the height of the buildings in NY. Going to the museum is on our bucket list, so we'll have to plan a trip back to go inside.


We walked down 5th avenue along the edge of the park and Brian found this gigantic pinecone. I've never seen a pinecone that big before!


We passed by the Met on our way to the subway. We stopped to look at a few of the vendors selling art on the sidewalk out front. We found some pretty watercolors of different sights of the city, and I really wanted to get a couple to hang in our apartment, but we didn't have any cash on us at the moment. So, this weekend we're planning on going back and getting a couple. We've been here for a year and a half now, it's probably time to start settling in a little and decorating our apartment!

1 comment:

  1. That's a really big pine cone! Was it anywhere near a really big pine tree?
    The day looks so clear and pretty.

    ReplyDelete