On Saturday, Oct 13, while Brian's parents were still here, we rented a car and drove out to the eastern most tip of Long Island. For those of you not familiar with the area, Queens and Brooklyn are on the west end of Long Island. The island is 118 miles long and 23 miles across at its widest point.
We got up really early, packed a lunch and flagged a cab to take us to our car rental place near LaGuardia Airport. The day was cool and crisp but sunny and clear. It was the perfect fall day for an outing. It didn't take us very long to get out of the congested city areas and into the countryside. The areas we drove through were beautiful, what with the blue skies and changing fall leaves.
As we go closer to the end of the island, we could feel its sides closing in on us. We knew we were running out of land and eventually would hit the ocean. We kept driving up over a rise expecting to seed the end, only to find more road stretched before us.
At one point we stopped at an outlook to stretch our legs and take some pictures of the surroundings. The outlook of the ocean wasn't as great as we had hoped. We could barely see the water from our vantage point. There was a nearby hiking trail that we assumed would take us down to the water. However, after 20 minutes of brisk walking, we were still surrounded by trees and vegetation. We eventually gave up and returned back to the car, but it was nice to walk along a dirt path covered with fallen leaves surrounded by nothing but trees and fresh air.
It's interesting how a person can become so accustomed to a certain atmosphere that when they find themselves in a totally opposite setting it is very striking. I grew up in Chester, Idaho...a very small town. Nature was everywhere. Walking through a grove of trees, seeing the mountains or an open field full of growing crops or livestock was common place. I appreciated the beauty of the area, but often times I didn't pay much attention to it because that was just life. I just expected it to be there. Now after having lived in NYC for just over two years, when I get to visit the countryside or my family in Idaho, the natural setting almost stops me in my tracks. It is SO gorgeous and still and beautiful. I miss it so much. I appreciate the area that I grew up in so much more after having been exposed to the complete opposite.
We eventually found the Montauk Point Lighthouse, located on Turtle Hill in East Hampton on the very tip of Long Island. Its construction was approved by the Second Continental Congress under the direction of George Washington in 1792. Building began in June of 1796 and completed five months later in November. This lighthouse is 216 years old! Pretty cool, huh? Earlier this year it was made a National Historic Landmark.
After wandering around the grounds a bit, taking some photos, purchasing a Christmas ornament from the gift shop and eating lunch, we started our drive back. We drove through the Hamptons a bit on our way westward. We saw some fairly grand houses, although no humongous mansions. Those were hidden back farther from the road.
We pulled off to visit a stretch of beach. We had the whole place to ourselves! No people, anywhere. I can't remember the last time Brian and I have been somewhere without people.
It was very peaceful and beautiful. We wandered up and down the stretch of sand for awhile, gathering rocks and watching all of the fishing boats out on the water. There were quite a few boats, although my pictures are quite devoid of any.
The last few weeks have been extremely hectic, especially so for Brian. This time away from the city, especially the time we spent at the beach was so wonderful. We were able to take a deep breath and relax from the constant go of daily life. It was a much needed break and we are happy that we got to share it with family.
We wanted to stop at a few different places on the way back to the city, but we ended up getting to each one just after it closed. Although we didn't get to visit any other specific space, it was fun to drive through the towns and just experience the area.
We ended up in Oyster Bay around dinner time and Brian directed us to the Oyster Bay Fish & Clam Restaurant, courtesy of Yelp.com. It was a fun little place and the food was excellent.
Brian and his parents all partook of a fish dish of some sort or another while I enjoyed a delicious steak. I will always be a meat and potatoes girl! They ordered a half dozen oysters and I watched as they slurped them down and made noises of satisfaction. I couldn't do it. Someday, maybe, I will try an oyster, but that time will probably be far, far into the future.



You should have continued on in the Westward direction!! :) You have a way with words...love it! I absolutely love the lighthouse and the beach! Wish I was with you (sigh..). Love and miss you terribly!
ReplyDeleteIn our most recent microbiology unit, we learned about a couple nasty diseases that are especially common to contract from eating raw oysters... so don't ever feel left out. Besides being gross in almost all ways, they could also make your life truly miserable. Good move with the steak and potatoes!
ReplyDeleteWe love you Jess, even without your joining us in oyster-slurping.
ReplyDeleteI know it looks DISGUSTING and it took me until middle-age to try it, even though I grew up by the ocean and ate all sorts of sea-critters. But truly, they are yummy once you feel ready to give it a go. I will send you a photo of us at dinner -- I finally dealt with some photos today.
Best of all, we LOVED being with you and Brian. Be safe during the storm. I wonder how many big storms the Montauk Point Lighthouse has weathered?