This last Saturday, we headed to Coney Island to spend some time on the beach. We have been told repeatedly that to have the full experience we have to have one of Nathan's famous hot dogs, THE Coney Island hot dog. So we got off the subway and headed straight for Nathan's which is on the corner across from the subway stop.
Although it was super busy we didn't have to wait too long for our food. We got one hot dog with onions and peppers, one cheeseburger, an order of chili-cheese fries and an old fashioned lemonade to share. For being a historic and iconic food stand smack dab in tourist land, the prices were surprisingly low. We took our food with us to the beach, where we thoroughly enjoyed it.
We had such a fun afternoon there. The water was very chilly, but after being in for awhile it felt great.

Brian stayed in the water much longer than I did, but we both eventually ended up relaxing on our towels on the beach. The weather was perfect with a temperature in the high 70's and clouds occasionally blocking the glare of the sun. We read books and just took some time to unwind, spend some time with each other and people watch.
It was a much needed day off, as afterwards we both felt more relaxed that we had in a few weeks.
On the way up the subway stairs when we were headed home I snagged a pic of this hot dog. I thought it was fitting for our day. The other pictures were of weird turtle people with green and red skin. Not sure what that was about.
We headed home pleasantly tired, sand-covered and only slightly sunburned. I call that a successful day!
P.S. Later we found out that we still need to ride the Cyclone before we can say we've fully experienced Coney Island. I think I'll pass on that one, but Brian probably will go for it. I guess that means we'll be heading back again.



.jpg)
.jpg)

This looks like a super fun day.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the Cyclone? Is it a roller coaster?