Brian and I went to the Manhattan New York LDS Temple to attend a session a few weeks ago. We always love visiting the temple. It's such a haven from the city's constant noise and activity.
I arrived early, so I had some time waiting for Brian in the foyer area. As I was standing there, I got to study the temple's beautiful doors and the stained glass window panels that surround them.
Since the Manhattan Temple is actually a building inside a building, it's set up a bit differently than other LDS temples. When you enter the building's front doors, you aren't immediately in the temple, but instead in a small foyer area. If you turn and walk to the right, you find yourself at the family history center. A hallway leads back past the family history center to an elevator. You can take the elevator to the second floor where the distribution center (clothing only) and public affairs offices reside. If you took this same elevator to the third floor, you would find the chapel and classrooms that make up the meeting house for the LDS wards in Manhattan.
The actual "front" doors to the temple reside on the foyer's left side. The left most wall of the foyer bears the church's and temple's name.
The doors are just so pretty. The words "Holiness to the Lord The House of the Lord" are inscribed above them.
As soon as you open the doors and pass through, the noise of the outside world disappears and you are surrounded by a peaceful stillness that is such an immediate contrast to chaos of the street. I love these doors so much, not only because of their outward beauty, but because they lead the way into such a sacred place.
You can read more about the Manhattan New York LDS Temple here.



No comments:
Post a Comment