Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Village

One of the big reasons my Mom and Jamie came to visit, was that they wanted to see the Christmas lights at Temple Square. Neither one of them, nor the kids, had ever seen them before. So Saturday night, we all bundled up and headed out for a festive evening of light gazing.

Before heading to Salt Lake, we stopped briefly at the Christmas Village in Ogden on 25th Street. It's actually a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be. They have a pretty impressive light display.



Lining the entire city square were little cottages decorated outside with Christmas lights and inside with a Christmas scene. Each cottage is decorated by a local business. It was really fun to walk from window to window, peering inside at the fun displays. Each one was so unique.



We got in line for the kids to visit Santa. It was pretty cold, so we bought some styrofoam cups of hot chocolate from a nearby booth. It was so hot that it burned our tongues and lips, but it sure warmed our hands up quickly. We ended up staying about an hour or so, and the hot chocolate was still pretty hot when we left!

The line for Santa was moving so slow! We were wondering if each kid had a long list of stuff to ask for or if Santa was just slow. Mom and I broke off for the group and went to look around a bit. Eventually the kiddos made it in and were both really brave. They were so excited afterwards. Carson told me that it was the real Santa because Santa told him that he would "look in his workshop" for the train Carson wanted. He then explained that if it was a fake Santa, then Santa would have said "I'll send it in the mail." Haha! That kid cracks me up.

     

Besides the cottages, lights, and Santa, they offer free train rides at the Christmas Village. While Danny, Jamie, and the kids were still in line for Santa, Mom and I found the pick up spot for the train rides. We were first in line. Little Sophia didn't want to see Santa, so she hung out for us. 

The train was late, but even so the kids didn't make it out of Santa's cottage in time for the first ride around. So Mom and I got back in line for the second ride.



Just as the train was pulling up for another round, they found us. As soon as the previous passengers disembarked, there was a mad rush for the train. We barely got on before it filled up, and even then there wasn't room for all of us. Mom and I were going to wait and let Jamie's family go, but Carson wanted me to ride with them, so Danny graciously gave me his spot.


Again, the train ride was cooler than I thought it would be. It drove around two full blocks, giving us great views of the lights around the entire Christmas Village square. The conductor rang a bell ever so often during the ride, that made Carson happy. He started yelling "Merry Christmas" and waving to those on the street that we passed. A few of them responded by waving back. We all oohed and aahed at the lights...especially the kids. It was really fun. 

      

After the train ride, we loaded back up in the car and drove to Salt Lake City. This time we had no problem finding parking and were soon in the Joseph Smith Building. I took them up to the 10th floor to see the Temple and lights from above. The kids were really impressed with the view.

After that, we went and walked around the Temple. They all loved the lights, and the nativities. I didn't take very many pictures because I was taking turns carrying Sophia and holding the other two kids' hands.




I'm so happy that I was able to share their first experience of Christmas at Temple Square with them. It was a wonderful night, and we were all worn out by the time we got back to our apartment. Suffice it to say, we all slept well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment