Thursday, August 2, 2018

Westover Family Reunion

We spent the latter half of our week in Idaho at the Westover family reunion. The reunion is held every few years at the Westover Ranch in Rexburg. We were so happy that we were able to attend this year. It's been years since we've seen some (most) of Brian's uncles, aunts, and cousins. Although not everyone could attend, we loved getting to see those who were there. It was great to visit and catch up with them.




It was the first time Connor got to meet a lot of the family, and we were excited to introduce him. Although he was a little shy, he wasn't as reserved as I thought he would be. He made himself at home at the ranch, running around indoors in the main hall and outdoors on the grounds. He especially loved playing outside and swinging! Any time we were inside and he spotted a door, he would make a beeline for it and try to escape outside. Once outside, he headed directly for the swings. We spent a lot of time chasing after him and pushing him on the swings. Look at that happy face!

     


    

Indoors he liked to chase Grandma and Grandpa's dog Archy around and underneath the tables in the main hall. When he couldn't find Archy, he settled for rearranging the furniture. He had a grand time pushing and pulling the folding chairs across the floor. He was very methodical about it most of the time, moving all the chairs from one side of a table into a line and then moving them back to the table. Silly kid.  


He was also quite delighted when he discovered the piano. He loved that we let him sit on the bench and push the keys. After loudly playing a few notes, he would turn with the biggest smile on his face and clap and laugh. I love this kid! Watching him get so excited about things makes me so happy.


    

Each day of the reunion is assigned to a branch of the family and has a theme. We were there for the pirate-themed day. The day started off with the Jolly Roger being raised on the flag pole, followed by a treasure hunt for the kids. Later the kids made pirate eye patches and that afternoon we went to
Rexburg Rapids. We all had a lot of fun.

     

I'm not sure what Friday's theme was, but that morning Kris and Layne pulled out some ropes that they had so people could practice roping. Kris asked me to come and teach them how to do it. I've known how to swing a rope pretty much my whole life. I remember my dad teaching us when we were really young. Although I know how to do it, I'm not good at roping. Mostly because I never practiced or was into that very much. It was fun to show others how to do it though. Most everyone that participated ended up roping the wooden spool or a chair at least once. Layne and Brian were pretty good and managed to "catch" something a few times. 







Connor had fun dropping his sippy cup down the hole in the center spool. He thought it was grand fun, and kept doing it every time Brian retrieved it for him. 


I forget sometimes just how little Connor still is. He's just so smart and capable and figures things out and does a lot by himself. But when he was walking around at the ranch, I realized just how little he still is. 


After roping, Brian went to play golf with some of the others, so Connor and I played on the swings. He found a soccer net someone had set up, and was more interested in sitting inside it and flipping it back and forth over his head than he was kicking around a ball.


We got up with the golfers towards the end of their game. 


Layne and Kris were awesome and let us sleep in their camper with them. The three of us shared a comfortable queen-sized bed and slept well. It got pretty chilly a couple of nights during the reunion, so we were grateful to be in the heated camper. It also made giving Connor a bath much easier. He loved the trailer and had fun climbing up and down the stairs. At night, he would play peek-a-boo with Grandpa and Grandma before falling asleep. He thought it was great fun to have them and Archy around during bedtime.


Friday afternoon, Brian and I slipped away with Connor to take him to the carousel in Rexburg. Layne and Kris came with us. Brian and I both have fond memories riding this carousel as kids. We wanted to let Connor have the same experience. Connor wasn't too sure about it at first, and didn't like the idea of sitting on the horse by himself. He clung to Brian and wouldn't let go. Brian tried to sit on a horse next to him, but Connor didn't want to stay on his horse alone. Once the carousel started moving he was fine, and decided he liked it...as long as Brian or I was holding on to him (which of course we did). We went on four rides, and by the end I think he was really enjoying it. Although he was so serious the entire time. I don't think he smiled once.

     




Saturday came all too fast, and it was time for everyone to leave. We didn't have much to pack up, so we wandered around helping others pack where we could. I mostly watched Connor keeping him busy and out of the way while Brian helped with the packing. I got to hold a tiny little baby, one of Eric and Kelly's twin girls, while they finished packing. She was so little and just adorable. We also helped clean the building so it would be ready for the next guests using the ranch. We said a lot of goodbyes and gave a lot of hugs. 


I feel very lucky to have married into the family I did. They are all so warm, welcoming, and loving, and have made me feel like a part of the family from the beginning...11 almost 12 years ago. It was a wonderful few days getting to see everyone. Since we live on this side of the country again, we can attend the reunion more regularly. We can't wait for the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment