We got to go to the zoo in Queens today. I'm such a little kid...I love zoos. It was so fun that I couldn't wait to put pictures up on the blog! So here they are...
The zoo is located in Flushing Meadows Corona Park near the 111th street subway stop. So it only took us about 20 minutes by subway to get there. This park was the home of the World's Fair and has a art museum, science museum and botanical garden. We got to walk past the science museum on the way to and from the subway. We are planning future visits to each of these places.
| Zoo Gates |
Today was sunny, and although there was a chilly breeze, it was warm. The sun ended up peeking from behind the clouds while we were at the zoo and the warm sunlight felt wonderful! The zoo was divided into two parts, one being a petting zoo with domesticated animals. I loved it...it felt like home. There were pellet dispensers around that you could buy a handful of food and feed the animals. Sadly we had no quarters with us. We still got to pet the animals though, which was great. There were horses, lamas, goats, sheep, chickens, bunnies and Scottish highland cows. There were these weird sheep that had four horns that came right up to the fence as I was standing there. I never did find out what they were called.
The Scottish Highland cows were funny looking with their big heads, long hair and horns.
I found these little beauties peeking out along the pathways. I love crocus...I think it might be spring!
The sea lions were our favorite part. We got there in time to see them being fed. It was hilarious!
The second part of the zoo contained an Aviary which was cool. There were green parakeets, egrets, sparrows and cardinals. We only saw one cardinal, but it was so awesome. I've never seen one before today.
Most of the animals they had at the zoo are native to North America, i.e. Idaho. hahaha They had coyotes (which my dad and brothers would laugh at), elk and black bears, bison and antelope. They also had bobcats, pumas, bald eagles and a duck pond.
We saw a sandhill crane sitting on a nest of eggs. I always remember seeing flocks of sandhill cranes in our fields when I was growing up.
What a wonderful day you must have had! I love the pictures...so fun. so glad you got out of the stuffy city and into animal-land!
ReplyDelete