Monday, May 2, 2011

September 11, 2001

So in lieu of recent events (the death of Osama bin Laden) I thought I would share this. This quilt is the National Tribute Quilt of the September 11th attacks. Each square on the quilt represents someone who died that day. It has 3,466 blocks. The squares have names and some also have the ages of the victims. There were a lot of squares with fire department or police department insignias. It really put into perspective how many people died that day, and that they were real people...some just a few years older than me.

Right now it is hanging in the American Folk Art Museum that is next door to the Manhattan Temple. Layne, Kris and I found it when we went to the temple during their visit. I brought Brian to see it after we went to the temple this last weekend because I thought it was so neat.




I remember that day so clearly, as I'm sure every other American does. I was getting ready for class and was half-way listening to the news when I saw that a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. I went to tell my mom and brothers and sisters about what I had seen and we were all watching when the second plane hit the second tower. It was so surreal. After classes I came back home and was watching the news with my mom. We were watching people jump from the windows of the towers and then saw the towers crumble to the ground. I was so shocked that something like that could even happen. That is definitely an event that I will always remember.



So here we are again experiencing another event in the history of our country. May 1, 2011- Obama bin Laden was killed by U.S. troops and CIA operatives. I am grateful that this evil man was finally found and stopped. I am proud of our troops and servicemen who have sacrificed so much to finally accomplish this. It has made me even more grateful for our wonderful nation and the freedoms that we enjoy because of the sacrifice of so many. Although this is far from the end of our war against terrorism and evil, it is a step forward and one that will hopefully help bring closure and peace to all those affected by the tragic events of 9/11. I am so proud to be an American.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this. That quilt was sobering, wasn't it? It seemed like creating a quilt with each square for a person was one of the most effective things I've ever seen. I didn't realize how many fire fighters were killed. Wow. And then we saw Ground Zero and went to St. Paul's church and saw all those pictures and signs and letters. Wow.

    ReplyDelete