My wonderful in-laws gave me a Macy's gift card for my birthday. Not that they are wonderful because they gave me a gift card, they were already wonderful to begin with. They just happened to give me a gift card as well. This warranted a trip to the Macy's store in Manhattan. I could have just done some shopping online, but that's no fun. Especially since it's an eight-floor magical wonderland all decorated for Christmas. We were already planning to be out and about doing some Christmas present reconnaissance, so this fit right into our day.
The lights on the side of the building are in the shape of a Christmas Tree. It's hard to see when you're not super close in the daylight.
I loved the decorations on the outside of the building. They had lighted Christmas trees on every awning above every doorway. This is the main entrance and had the largest tree. The other entrances had four or five smaller trees grouped together.
I recognized this little guy from the Thanksgiving Parade, that we'll get to see again this week! I'm SO excited.
Inside the store is decked out in Christmas fare. It was like stepping into Christmas-land. Everything was festive, and sparkly, and red and green and there were lights everywhere. It was awesome.
We wandered around through the first three or four floors as I was browsing through the merchandise. Poor Brian was stressed because the store was packed full of people. It was crowded, noisy and we were shopping. Not a good combo for my husband. We wandered by another couple where the husband was just trailing behind his wife. His facial expression was a mixture of boredom, disinterest and annoyance. I looked at Brian and started laughing because he was wearing the same expression. Brian had noticed them as well and when I asked what he was thinking this is how he responded, "I know how you're feeling buddy. You and me, we're in the same boat." It was so funny.
I did feel bad about dragging him around the store watching me shop. Especially a store filled with Christmas things. Brian is adamant about no Christmas anything until the day after Thanksgiving. This was killing him. I, on the other hand, was having so much fun. I love everything Christmas and am a "Christmas-all-the-time" sort of girl. We went all the way up to the eighth floor which is called Santaland. I thought it might help Brian to feel better about being there with me, but not really. It was just Christmas overload for him. After walking around and me oohing and ahhhing about all of the trees and decorations and Christmas ornaments and making Brian pose for a picture in front of the Christmas train, I lost him...
This is where I found him. Hahaha! I joined him because my feet needed a break and that loveseat was so comfortable. Brain was super patient with me during the whole shopping experience, so I was glad he found a moment of respite for himself.
They had a whole section devoted to Christmas ornaments. It was so cool. We found a Brooklyn Bridge ornament for our tree. We've gotten an ornament for every other Big tourist attraction we've been too, but hadn't found one for the bridge yet. We probably won't get a Christmas tree this year, because we are leaving for Christmas and we will be a little short on funds this year after purchasing plane tickets and Christmas presents. However, I'm going to rig up something so we can still display all of our fun ornaments. Maybe I'll crochet a chain of yarn or something.
I lost Brian a second time. This time he found a reclining couch that reclined automatically at the touch of a button. The furniture section was running along side the Christmas section. It was just too distracting for him. Hahaha
The top three or four floors had wooden escalators. They were pretty neat. They made a nice clackity wooden noise. Sort of like on a wooden roller coaster...at least that is how Brian described it. I've never been on a wooden roller coaster before.
We got to Macy's pretty late in the day, so by the time we left it had gotten dark. The Empire State Building was lit up red and green and looked awesome next to the decorations on the Macy's building.
I love this time of year. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my two most favorite holidays.
After finding a Barnes and Noble to wander through for a while, (I had promised Brian we would go to a bookstore if he would stick with me through Macy's) we went back to Queens. They have the Christmas decorations hung up along Queens Boulevard. :) Four more days Brian, four more days...
I love reading your posts! Have a wonderful holiday.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh...Christmas in the biggest store! i am jealous! Hope you found something wonderful for yourself! Love you and thanks for the tour!
ReplyDeleteOooohhhh, how pretty!!! But I have to admit that Brian might have gotten his too-early-for-Christmas aversion from me. I don't want to be distracted from Thanksgiving. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Miss you both! kmw
ReplyDeleteAlways love hearing about your adventures, since we have so few.
ReplyDelete