Friday, March 16, 2012

Lunch Date

I went into the city (Manhattan) today to have a lunch date with Brian. He has been working late most nights (8 o'clock and later), and I only get to see him for a little bit in the evenings when he is extremely exhausted. I had a light work day planned today (That's right, I'm working again! My writing job has come back from the dead) and so I called to let him know that I was coming to join him for lunch. I wanted to remind myself that I still have a husband and spend some time with him when he's not dead to the world. 

Some of his co-workers have been asking to meet me, so I went up to the PC Mag offices. I've only met a few of them the three times I've visited Brian at work. I had to hand my ID in to the guy at the front desk before I could go up and when he saw my Idaho driver's license he asked if I had any potatoes on me. We get that every time people learn we're from Idaho.

After meeting people, we headed outdoors to grab some food. We took our lunch to Madison Square Park, our favorite lunch spot when we do this. The weather is cooler and overcast and the ground a bit wet because it's been rainy today, but it was refreshing to sit outdoors. This park is so beautiful, so I took a few snapshots of the area.



 

We ended up having a third wheel during lunch.


We were calmly enjoy our food and talking when all of the sudden Brian screamed "Squirrel." His outburst startled me and I let out a little scream (I always tend to scream when I'm startled, just ask my old roommates) and almost dropped my food. This squirrel had come out of nowhere and jumped up on Brian's leg! Brian shook him off, but he kept coming back. We gathered our food and stood up to move and the squirrel ran over the walkway and leaped onto Brian's leg hanging on to his pant-leg at the side of his knee! It was ridiculous and hilarious. This squirrel was crazy. Brian did a little dance trying to shake the squirrel off his leg. Finally, the squirrel dropped off and ran back under the bench. Don't worry, no one was harmed during the incident. The squirrel busied himself nibbling on pieces of my lunch that I had dropped earlier and we were able to make our escape to a different bench further down the path.


We continued our lunch with a better view of the Flatiron Building (I think it is so cool that we just ate lunch by the Flatiron, no big deal you know, just another lunch in Manhattan). Across from us was a small dog park and we started laughing because all of the dogs and their owners looked alike, like that scene in 101 Dalmatians.


 All too soon it was time for Brian to walk back to work. But it was a fun little day date.

 P.S. Brian's birthday was last week and we celebrated with the 3rd annual sushipalooza. Here is a pic of him enjoying his spoils for the year.


 

4 comments:

  1. The squirrel thing is hilarious!! If I remember right, we sent him a birthday card with a squirrel on the front. HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!! So glad you got out and about and the weather is behaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that's a lot of sushi!

    I wish I could have seen Brian doing the squirrel dance in the middle of Manhattan. I've seen his dances before -- they are quite good and heartfelt. Maybe a re-enactment next time we see you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still praying for new found wealth to get you to Idaho this summer for Westover Reunion. One trip = visits to both families, such a deal! And he could do the squirrel dance for the talent show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather looks beautiful! I think I would have paid money to see Brian "dance"!

    ReplyDelete