The Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend we took a trip to Coney Island. We rode the subway there, which was an hour and a half ride one way. Sometimes it would be really nice to have a car here in NY, but the cons outweigh the pros, so we continue on without one. Really, the subway gets us everywhere we need/want to go without any problems, and is usually very convenient. We left our apartment in the morning to find clear, bright blue skies and a hot, hot, hot temperature outside.
It was still sunny when we got to the beach, but the temperature had cooled a bit. There was also a nice breeze. It was perfect!
We walked around a little on the beach scoping out the best area to settle in. The closer we got to the water, the crowded it was. After a spreading out our beach towels and then changing our minds and moving a couple of times, we ended up fairly close to the water, with plenty of space away from those around us.
We went straight for the water after that. It was our first time in the Atlantic Ocean! The water was chilly, and it didn't help that some clouds had permanently moved in covering the sun. It was cool, but I thought it was still nice. Brian on the other hand thought it was too cold to enjoy so he headed back to the towels after taking my picture.
I had brought a book too, and we had packed a lunch. We enjoyed our simple picnic on the beach together. Brian enjoyed himself reading, but I couldn't focus on my book. I spent time watching the amusement rides and people swimming in the water. I enjoyed digging my toes in the sand and just being outside in the fresh air.
After a while it started getting colder so we packed up our stuff and brushed as much sand off as we could and headed back to the boardwalk. It was super crowded, but fun walking around and seeing the place.
The big Ferris wheel is called The Wonder Wheel and was built in 1918. The cars on the outside remain stationary like a normal Ferris wheel, but the cars in the center slide around as the wheel turns. They reminded me of those kids' toys with the wooden beads on the colored wire mazes that are found at doctor's offices. I have been on a Ferris wheel once in my life at the Eastern Idaho State Fair, and it scared the bee-geebers out of me. I rode with my brother Tyler and sister Kiley and it freaked us all out. It was the first ride we had ever been on. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it again, maybe with Brian. We'll see.
There is a large building (I think it might be part of the NY Aquarium) that runs along one side of the boardwalk just past the shops and rides that is covered in a mural. There were quotes about Coney Island and NY painted in random spots across the mural. One of them said that there were over 200 languages spoken in NYC, more than any other city in the world. I can believe that.
We also saw the Parachute Jump that is from the 1939 World's Fair. Apparently people were pulled up to the top (190 ft above ground) and dropped while wearing parachutes with guy wires attached. Now that sounds terrifying! It is closed now and serves as just a landmark. Sometimes people call it Brooklyn's Eiffel Tower.
We spent most of the day there on the beach. We didn't go on any rides this time, but maybe next time. When we got back to Queens, everything was wet because it had rained while we were gone. Luckily we had no rain at the beach. It was a nice relaxing day and was just what we needed after the crazy week we had trying to catch up from our trip. It was so fun, I think we're going to back next weekend!
This looks like so much fun!
ReplyDelete