This last Tuesday, October 8th, I got to go to the Rachael Ray show with some friends from our ward. They had an extra ticket and invited me along.

The studio is located right around the corner from the Fashion Institute of Technology on West 26th Street in Manhattan. We made it there around 9:00 am and stood in line for about an hour before they let us in. We had to sign a release form and go through security then waited in a room before being taken up to the studio.
The studio was smaller than I expected, and freezing cold. They seated us on the third row towards the right side of the studio (on the left side in the picture). They took a picture of our audience after filming and posted it on the show's Facebook page.
The comedian, Joey Kola, warmed us up and instructed us on all of our cues. We had to watch him to know when to clap or make ooh and ahhh sounds and say yummmm. We were told that we were helping to make television, not just watching it so we had to follow the cues and not get up and walk around. They also warned us that they would be filming us so to smile and clap and not pick our noses. Our faces hurt by the end because we were smiling the whole time. My nose started to itch every time they pointed a camera in our direction and it was so hard not to scratch it. Haha.
They filmed segments for the show that aired on October 10th, and an additional two segments for air on October 15th. Bobby Flay was Rachael's co-host and we also got to see Jessica Seinfeld. They cooked pork chops, roasted chicken legs and green chili for the various cooking segments. There was a makeover segment, an interview with Bob Harper, a trainer from The Biggest Loser, and then they filmed some short promotional spots for each network the show was to air on.
There were around twenty people and three giant cameras surrounding Rachel and her guests while they did the filming. Most of the time, all of this was in the way and I couldn't directly see what was going on so I watched it on the tv screens hanging above us.
We ended up getting a $50 Target gift card, Jessica Seinfeld's newest cookbook and a bag of beauty product samples. I wasn't expecting anything, so that was all a pleasant surprise.
Overall we had a fun time and it was interesting to see all that goes into making a show. We don't have tv, so I didn't get to see our episode air yet. My Mom and a few friends watched it and said that they saw me in the audience, so that is kinda cool. I'll have to see if I can find it online. Going to a show taping was one thing on my bucket list that we hadn't done yet, so I'm glad I got to go.

It was so fun to see you on TV! I recorded it -- I hope it stays on my DVR after we move, then maybe you can see it too. You are cute and photogenic. And the pork chops looked yummy.
ReplyDelete