Brian and I have made a tradition of going to see some sort of show or concert during the holiday season. In previous years, it was the Rockettes or the NYC Ballet. This year, we decided to go to an event at Carnegie Hall -- the last item on our original moving to NYC bucket list. We got really excited when we found that there would be a choir/orchestra concert of Handel's Messiah and even more excited when we found a 50% discount through the choir's website.
I met Brian and work and we stopped for a quick dinner at a pizza place near his office. I love that part of town, because you get great views of the Empire State Building.
We made it to Carnegie Hall just as they were opening the doors into the concert hall. It was fun seeing the building's exterior all lit up and the garlands hanging from the marquee were cute.
I've only ever seen the building during the day, and have never been inside, so I was super excited. Brian actually performed here in 2000 with his High School Choir. He said that the experience was awesome and he loved getting to see the corridors behind the stage and all the photographs they contain of the stars that have performed there, not to mention standing and singing on the stage.
Carnegie Hall was built in 1891. It is one of the last buildings in NYC to be built completely from masonry. Steel support systems were built around some of the building when additional flights were added.
![]() |
| Source |


Since I couldn't get a picture of the whole hall with my little camera, I found a couple pictures online to show you. This auditorium seats 2,804 people, and has five levels. I didn't know this, but Carnegie Hall actually has three concert halls. The other two rooms are much smaller, seating only 599 and 268 people.
![]() |
![]() |
| Source |
We had amazing seats on the main floor -- fourth row from the stage in the center section. We had a little bit of time before the concert started, and it was nice to just sit and take in our surroundings and watch the orchestra members slowly fill up their chairs.
Finally the principal violinist, or concert master, came out and played a few notes so the others could tune their instruments. A hush fell over the auditorium as the lights were dimmed and the music began.
It was a beautiful concert. I had never listened to the entire Messiah oratorio before, but was familiar with the Hallelujah Chorus, as I'm sure most of you are. I imagined that that famous chorus would be recurring throughout the performance, but it wasn't. In fact it only appeared at the end of the second part.
The piece is broken into three parts, with each part having multiple "verses." The entire thing lasted two and a half hours. The lyrics of the entire piece are taken from the Bible, mostly from the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament. Our programs gave a good synopsis of each part. Part one is about "the prophecy of salvation, the prophecy of the coming of Messiah and the question of what this may portend for the world; the prophecy of the Virgin Birth; the appearance of the Angels to the Shepherds; Christ's redemptive miracles on earth." Part two contains scriptures about "the redemptive sacrifice, the scourging and the agony on the cross; His sacrificial death, His passage through Hell and Resurrection; His Ascension; God discloses his identity in Heaven; the world and its rulers reject the Gospel; God's triumph." Part three contains "the promise of bodily resurrection and redemption from Adam's fall; the Day of Judgement and general Resurrection; the victory over death and sin; the glorification of the Messianic victim."
The music and words were beautiful and we had a great time.








How wonderful! Next year -- maybe a Messiah Sing-Along
ReplyDelete