Thursday, May 28, 2015

Baseball, BBQ, and Sailors

We really didn't have any set plans for Memorial Day, until Sunday night, when our friends Marcus and Erica Hardy invited us to go to a Met's Baseball game with them the next day. We are so glad they invited us to go along with them, because we had a really great time.

The game started just after 1:00 pm and the Secretary of the Navy was going to be throwing the opening pitch (last week was Fleet Week--when ships from the Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines dock in NYC and the sailors flood the city for a week of leave) so we wanted to be there on time. However, we didn't anticipate the flood of people to the game. Our Subway car was packed with Mets Fans heading out to the game--it made for one of those uncomfortable, standing-while-squished-against-at-least-least-four-other-sweaty-people-because-its-hot-and-stuffy sort of rides. I was getting very claustrophobic because my face was only a couple inches from another passenger's outstretched arm (he was trying to hold onto a subway pole) and the fellow behind me was just tall enough that his butt was pressed into the small of my back, and he kept trying to bend down for some reason, which pushed me forward into the other guy's arm. The 20 minute ride took even longer because people had to fight to get on and off. Ugh! The last (first and only other) time we've been to a Met's game, the place was pretty empty, so we weren't expecting a mad rush to get there. Despite the crowds, we made it to Citifield in Flushing without too much trouble. When the subway car's doors opened, we were pushed out of the train by the flood of people and had to "swim" through the crowds out of the station and across the parking lot to the stadium.

Our tickets directed us to the Ballpen Gate, located on the opposite side of the stadium from where we exited the train. Although the line at the gate was long, it moved pretty quickly. By that time the game was well into play, so we missed the opening pitch. We passed through security, where they waved metal detector sticks all over our persons, and past the turnstile after flashing them our tickets. It's not so easy to get into any event in NYC.


We didn't have any trouble finding our seats once we made it into the stadium. The Hardy's were already there, and we took our seats right next to them. We were near the bullpen, about ten rows up, at the back of the field, kitty-corner to home plate (I'm sure there's a better way in sports lingo to describe where we were sitting, but since I'm not a huge sports fan, I don't know it). We had a great view of the field, much better than our last game when we were up in the last rows of the nosebleed section. 

The field was beautiful...I mean, just look at all that green grass! 


Our section was just underneath the stadium's giant score boards.





Our section was quite empty, which was surprising, and really nice. There were a few sailors, marines, and members sitting down a few rows in front of us. I never did get a good picture of any of the boys in uniform...there were some cute sailors around. I guess it's true what they say about a man in uniform. ;) 


I guess I should talk a little about the game. It was a lot of fun, and more interesting to watch when you're sitting down close enough to see the players as people rather than little specks. It's amazing how much more entertaining a baseball game is when you can see the action. ;) The NY Mets were playing against the Philadelphia Phillies. There were quite a few foul balls hit up into the stands nearer the bases, and it was fun to watch the people in the stands congregate to try and catch the ball. Both teams hit a few home runs too, where the balls came more towards the stands at our end of the field. None of the balls were hit directly towards our section, but each time a home run was hit, I would cringe a little bit until I knew it wasn't coming for us. Haha!

The game was pretty close during the first six or so innings. The Mets would score a point and move one point ahead of the Phillies who would then score a point to tie the score. 


There was a guy that was a little bit crazy, or drunk, or maybe both on the first row below us. He kept yelling at the pitchers warming up in the bull pen while holding out his baseball glove and flashing finger signs at them. I'm not sure what he was expecting...maybe for one of them to toss a ball at him. He would also stand up and mimic the outfielders as they caught and threw balls each time they were warming up between innings.

There was also this guy that would come around every so often holding a cowbell and beating it with a stick. That was entertaining for about the first 30 seconds and then it just got annoying. The Mets jersey that he was wearing said "COWBELLMAN" on the back.

We also thought it was funny that occasionally a few pigeons would fly over and land on the field. They weren't really bothered by the outfielders much and just walked away when a player came closer. NYC pigeons aren't scared by much I'd guess.


The day was beautiful, although a little bit hot for my liking. We were out in the open with the hot sun beating down on us, so we were glad we'd remembered to put on sunscreen and bring our sunglasses. I ended up rolling up my capris to just above my knees to try and get a little cooler. Unfortunately, I hadn't applied sunscreen to my knees and they got pretty sunburned. But just my knees! The seats in front of us shaded the majority of my legs, so now I'm going to have really tan patches on my knees that don't match the rest of the skin on my legs this year. I did manage to avoid a farmer's tan on my arms though. Haha!
  

Of course you can't go to a baseball game and not have any food. We were really excited when we found out that one of our favorite BBQ places in the city, Blue Smoke, had a concession stand at the stadium and it was near where we were sitting.


I got a pulled pork sandwich that came with yummy pickles on the side and Brian got a BBQ brisket sandwich and we each got a slice of cornbread. Man was it delicious! I'm craving another one right now as I'm writing about them. It was the perfect meal for the day.





The Mets ended up winning the game with a score of 6 to 3. The Phillies tried to come back while they were at bat during the top of the ninth inning, but they either struck out at the plate or the Mets players caught all their hits, so they called the game. We didn't stick around for any of the post game interviews and what not.


It was a great day and we had fun watching the game, eating BBQ, and hanging out with friends (of whom I didn't any pictures of, but I promise they were there).

2 comments:

  1. Pictures of the food and not of the Hardys? You have been spending too much time with Brian. Glad you enjoyed the game. Good luck with the knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! Haha! But it was an amazing pulled pork sandwich. And the pickles!

      Delete