One of my favorite stores in all of NYC is the Lion Brand Yarn Store near Union Square in Manhattan. Whenever I'm in that part of the city, I try to swing by to look at their window display and yarns. We happened to be in Union Square on Saturday, so we walked over to see the new display. The only downside about our visit, was that the store wasn't open. They are closed on Saturdays, which tends to be the day that my visits always fall on. Oh, well. It's probably for the best, so I don't end up spending all our money on yarn. :)
I'll admit I'd seen pictures of the display online through the knitting/crochet sites I follow, but it was so much cooler to see their produce stand in person. I absolutely loved it!
Each piece, sans baskets, buckets, and wooden frame, was hand knitted or crocheted. I think the striped awning was machine knit, but all the individual fruits, vegetables, and flowers where made by hand. The range of "produce" on display was quite impressive, and I couldn't tell you what piece I loved more, because they were all so cute. The daffodils and sunflowers were so pretty.
The strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries were adorable.
Cauliflower and rutabagas.
Corn, carrots, and leeks.
Tomatoes, lemons, and avocados.
We loved the pineapples.
I think the apples were felted, and I couldn't quite tell, but the peaches may have been too.
They even had a scale "weighing" some knitted bananas.
Beets. The whole display was standing on a carpet of grass made from strands of green yarn in varying shades.












This is like FAO Schwarz Lego Displays for knitters! Wow!
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing! I would love to visit that shop someday.
ReplyDeleteWho in the world has so much free time that they choose to knit fruits and veggies!
Too many other amazing projects out there!
Great post! ��
It's such a fun little store. Every time I visit I want so much to come out with armfuls of yarn. I have so many projects I want to make...but never enough time, never enough yarn! :)
Delete