Friday, May 4, 2018

April

April was quite the month. We've been very busy, but have also had a lot of fun. 

On the 3rd, we took Connor to Dr. Kestle, a pediatric neurosurgeon with Primary Children's Medical Center at the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City. I mentioned in February's post that Connor has a vertical ridge running down the center of his forehead. It's become more pronounced over the last few months, although if you don't know to look for it, you won't notice it. You can feel it though. We'd been monitoring it with our pediatrician. After Connor's last well-check, our pediatrician seemed more concerned about it and referred us to Dr. Kestle. He was concerned that it was a sign that the bones in Connor's skull had fused prematurely. With all of our travel and the doctor's busy schedule, we had to wait a month before we could get an appointment. 


Brian and were very nervous as we drove up to the hospital. Other than the presence of the ridge on Connor's head, there were no other indications that there was a problem. His head shape is good, his development is ahead of schedule, etc. It didn't stop us from worrying though. We left early for the appointment to ensure that we would have plenty of time to find the hospital and park. We ended up arriving 45 minutes early! Connor played happily with a toy truck in the waiting room as Brian and I filled out paperwork. The paperwork asked us at what age he hit certain milestones like sitting up, crawling, walking. I couldn't remember specifically, so we used our phones to look it up on the blog. Haha! Glad I recorded it all on here.

A nurse took us back to a examination room and asked us some questions while she measured Connor's head. Connor happily continued to play with the toy truck. Soon after the doctor came in. We really like Dr. Kestle. He examined Connor's head briefly and within five minutes of entering the room, told us that we had nothing to worry about. It was such a relief to hear! He explained that if there was a problem, Connor's overall head shape would be deformed and/or his development would be delayed. He didn't see any problem at all. He gave us the option of having a scan done just to be sure, for our own peace of mind, but told us if it was his child he wouldn't do the scan. It wasn't really needed. We decided against the scan. He told us that there was no need to worry, unless for some reason Connor started to have developmental delays. He also suggested that each year we take some pictures of his head, to compare the shape to the previous year's pictures, just to monitor his head shape. He said he didn't foresee any future problems. 

We left the appointment very happy and relieved. We called immediate family from the car to let them know that all was well. On the drive home, I felt lighter than I had in a month. I'd been trying not to think or worry about it, but it was always at the back of my mind. The knot that had been in my stomach (that I hadn't realized was there) was suddenly gone. What a relief. It was a very happy day indeed.

That next Saturday, Brian and I were able to go to the temple for the first time in a year. It's been hard to get away since having Connor. I just haven't felt like leaving him with a babysitter, or really had anyone to leave him with. We haven't been on any dates or visits to the temple in the last 17 months unless we've been in Idaho visiting family or had family visiting here. We've made friends with a few couples in our ward, and I've finally felt comfortable with the thought of leaving him with a babysitter. We've organized a babysitting swap with a few of our friends in the ward where we take turns babysitting so that we can visit the temple. It's been going on for a few months, but with us being out of town or sick, we haven't been able to participate until now. I was still nervous when we dropped Connor of at the Bruya's house. I trust Shalese completely--she has two boys of her own--but I was worried that Connor would cry or be scared the whole time we were gone. It was hard to leave him, but I felt it was important that Brian and I get a chance to attend the temple, so off we went. The session was wonderful, and it was so nice to get some one on one time with Brian.

It was just what we needed. Connor was just fine while we were gone. He had fun playing the Bradley and Landon and all of their toys. Shalese said that he was so good and didn't cry or hardly make a noise. I was so relieved. We left him with babysitters (the Lund's) a second time a couple weeks later and he did just as good. We have babysitters! We're very grateful for them. 

After we picked Connor up, we went to get some lunch at Five Guys. We had a lot of fun at lunch. Connor tasted his first milkshake--strawberry of course--and became an instant fan. He wouldn't let go of the straw! We had to pull it out of his mouth so he would take a break drinking it and take a breath. I've tried giving Connor ice cream a few times before but he has always grimaced because it is too cold and refused to eat more than one bite. I think the milkshake may have broken him from his dislike of cold treats.


Connor looks more and more like a little boy everyday and less like a baby. His hair was getting long and scraggly so I gave him his second haircut this month. This time I managed to just trim it up without cutting it all off. I think I did a pretty good job, especially since the kid wouldn't sit still or cooperate at all. I just can't get over how adorable this kid is!

     

He's such a rough and tumble kid that his hair doesn't stay styled for very long. I need to get some stronger gel. He can be a wild monkey at times and is always climbing up on something or other. He loves to climb up on the toy basket in his room and peek through the blinds. Haha! One day, I was in the bedroom for a few minutes and I came out to find him sitting on the table enjoy some smarties. I had left the bag we got him for Easter on the table and he knew right where they were. He climbed right up and made him self at home with a handful. He chewed through one of the packages and was munching away contentedly. Silly boy.

     

Speaking of being wild, the kid will do anything to get out of a diaper change. We thought as he got older that it would get easier, but boy were we wrong. It's gotten so ridiculous at times to try to keep the kid still while changing his diaper, that we have to pin him down with one of our legs while we change him. He struggles the whole time, and has even learned to wiggle and squirm his way across the floor while we have him pinned down. I'm going to be so happy when get to potty train him.


This little boy remains the sweetest and most affectionate kid. He is always giving us hugs and kisses. He's started coming up and patting us on the back occasionally, which is the most hilarious thing. He loves it when we give him hugs and kisses and always smiles when I give him a kiss and tell him I love him. He picks up on others emotions and gets sad, squinting his eyes and looking concerned, when he thinks anyone is sad or hurt. He does this when we watch shows and read books too. We have a book called 1,2,3 to the Zoo about a train carrying animals to the zoo. He loves this book, except for the page with the sea lions on it. One of the sea lions is laying down and sleeping, but I think Connor thinks that the animal is hurt, because he starts making his concerned face and cries whenever we come to that page. It's so funny how concerned and sad he is about that seal. I try to explain that he is just sleeping, but he still gets so worried, so I try to hurry past or skip that page. 

     

When we were reading through that book, I told Connor that trains make a "choo, choo" noise and while I made the noise I raised my hand and pulled it down like I was pulling a lever much like a conductor does. He picked up on that immediately, so whenever we see a train in a book, on the t.v. or outside, he'll hold his arm up and open and close his fist. It's so cute. He uses that signal when he sees a truck or pickup now too. We're just creating our own sign language over here.

Speaking of trains, we got to go on a train ride one weekend. The Canyon Meadows Park in South Ogden is the home of the South Weber Model Railroad Train Club. The members have built model trains 1/8 the scale of a regular sized train and they have laid miniature track around the park. The trains work, and every so often they offer free train rides to the public. I found out about the event on Facebook and decided that since Connor had developed this new interest in trains that we should go. It was the perfect day for it too. Beautiful blue skies and warm weather. 


When we arrived, the line wasn't too long. We had a short wait but it wasn't too bad at all. Connor of course doesn't understand lines and waiting yet, so we put him down and let him wander around nearby. He is always on the go and figures out how to do things so quickly that I forget just how little he is. Looking at him walking around on the grass, I realized that he is still such a little guy. So little! I stayed in line and Brian wandered after him once he started getting too far away. He had a blast running after other kids and enjoyed the freedom we gave him to explore the big open field. 

     

Brian brought him back just as the previous group of passengers was getting of the train. They had two trains running, so the line moved fairly quickly. Connor was so excited when he got a glimpse of the train, and his little hand was opening and closing as fast as he could make it as he made his sign for train. 


We happened to be at the front of the line and got our pick of the seats. We decided to climb onto the first train car, right behind the conductor sitting on the engine. Connor held onto the front of the car and bounced on the seat. He was ready to go. Soon enough the conductor honked the horn, and pulled out of the "station." Connor loved it. Brian and I had fun too. The tracks circle the entire park, and there were little bridges, switchbacks, and even a railroad crossing gate at the park's parking lot entrance with lowering arms, flashing lights, and sounding bells. It was actually pretty cool. I chatted with the conductor during the ride, and he pointed out a killdeer nest on the neighboring track containing a mama bird sitting on her eggs.

     

All too soon our ride was over, and we had to get off. We put Connor down on the ground and he immediately turned around and started walking back to the train. He wanted to go again! We got back in line for a second ride. The line was longer this time, so Connor and I went to walk around while Brian held our place in line. We came back in time to climb onto the train. Brian sat with Connor in front of our car and I sat behind them. We all enjoyed our second ride as much as the first. It was a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. 



The weather has been so nice this month that we've been outside a lot. On the days when I have stuff I need to do indoors, I open our sliding door and let Connor play outside on our balcony. Its the perfect place for him because it has a railing that keeps him contained while letting him have some space to run around outdoors. He likes to play with his ball outside, but instead of throwing it he squishes it underneath the railing. It's just big enough that it won't roll through the gap on it's own, but he likes to push it into the gap until it gets stuck and then laughs when I have to go get it unstuck for him. A few times he's pushed it all the way under and it's fallen down to the ground, and I've had to go retrieve it. It's good exercise for me. Haha! He also likes to look for birds outside. Whenever he sees one flying by, he starts to growl and point excitedly at the sky. Lately he's become obsessed with sliding the screen door open and closed...and of course pressing his nose against the screen and window to make funny faces. He loves to look at these two pictures of himself. He laughs when he sees them.

     

He loves to go outside and just stand on the balcony shriek, and boy does he shriek. He has the loudest, high pitch scream and it echos a bit. He just laughs and laughs and does it again. Every evening he just gets in this mood where he wants to shriek or yell. He isn't sad or mad, but instead just happy and excited. He just shrieks and shrieks and then laughs. It's a bit much in the apartment where the sound is trapped by the walls. I can't believe such a small kid can make such a large noise. It's impressive. I'm glad our downstairs neighbors aren't home much. We try to get him to stop, but anything we do makes him laugh harder and do it more.

A few weeks ago we bought a new bookshelf. Our other one didn't survive the move very well, and I don't know how it's lasted us this long. Brian went to work putting it together once we got it home, and of course Connor boy had to be involved. He loves his dad and is always watching Brian. Whatever dad is doing Connor wants to do too. Brian let him help a bit here and there, and I tried to distract him when he couldn't help. Thanks to all of the help, the project took longer than intended, but Brian managed to get it built and we moved it into place. It is much better than our older shelf--it is a lot more stable and has more room for all of our books.  


Awhile ago Connor was playing outside on our balcony and was standing on a paver stone we have out there. He lost his balance and slid off the stone. He didn't fall down, but started crying. He only cried a little until I held him and then he seemed fine. I thought that the stumble had just scared him, but didn't think he'd gotten hurt because he stopped crying almost immediately and acted perfectly fine. That night when he was in the bathtub, I noticed that he had hurt his foot. He had scraped the bottom of his big toe on his right foot. It was actually pretty bad. The skin just under his toe's joint was completely gone. I felt bad that I hadn't noticed it and he'd been walking around on a hurt foot all day, but like I said, he acted completely fine. Tough little man. He cried more after the bath when I put some neosporin and a band-aid on it than he did when it happened. 

For the rest of the night and the following days, every time he noticed he had a band-aid on his toe, he would start crying and then hold his foot in the air. It healed enough that I could leave it unbandaged within a few days, but there was a scab on his toe for quite awhile. Whenever he noticed the scab or thought of his toe, he would sit down and point at the scab and make his squinty-eyed face of concern and fake cry. He would then look at his other toe without an injury and compare the two. It really bothered him that his toes weren't the same, and that his injured toe had a scab that he couldn't take off. Even though his toe is completely healed now, and you can't even tell it was injured, he'll still occasionally sit down and point at his toe where the scab used to be and act all concerned. He's not going to forget that one for awhile. Besides his broken collar bone and bruised head at birth, and a couple black eyes and minor scrapes and scratches, it's his first big injury. 

     

Connor always notices details from the tiniest crumb to a small seed outside. He's always pointing out or picking up little things and examining them. Last week I decided to paint my toenails. I don't do it often, in fact this is the first time I've painted them since before he was born. Connor watched very intently and with some concern as I was painting them. I had to work to keep him away from touching my nails while they were still wet. Once they had dried completely, I let him touch them. He touched them hesitantly at first and then started rubbing them like he wanted to wipe the paint off. Haha! He was quite concerned that he couldn't get the pink paint off. Even now when he notices my toenails, he'll touch and rub them trying to get the paint off. Haha!

We've gone to a couple parks this month to enjoy the beautiful weather. It was spring, and then all the sudden it feels like summer with temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's. One Monday morning, Connor and I went to the Harrisville Park with some friends from our ward. He had a lot of fun playing with friends and I enjoyed talking with mine. Connor absolutely loved the slide. He wouldn't climb up the steps to the top himself, but instead would hold his arms out for me to pick him up and put him on top. I didn't mind, because he smiled and laughed each time he went down the slide. It was great.




One Saturday afternoon, Brian and I took Connor to Green Acres Park. This one had swings. He has been in a swing before--a couple times last summer--and he liked it a lot. He loved swinging this time. He would smile and laugh and start to kick his legs every time Brian pushed him. It was awesome.




There was a little stream running nearby the playground, and an arched bridged spanned the water. Connor thought the bridges was the coolest thing ever. He loved walking back and forth over it. It was a little steep for him on each end though, and his feet would run away from him a bit. Brian and I held onto him as he walked up and down the steepest parts. He was so proud when he figured out how to get down the step on the bridge's far side by himself. We spent a good chunk of our time at the park playing on the bridge. He loved stopping to look through the railing at the water flowing by below. He was especially excited when he realized he could see the water through the gaps between the bridges boards. 

     

We managed to lure him away from the bridge for a bit to walk around the grassy area next to the stream. I picked a dandelion for him and he thought the flower was pretty neat. 

     

There was a very low bench close by, and he had a lot of fun climbing up and down on it by himself. He sat down by Brian for a minute and thought that was pretty fun, but soon climbed down and was off running around again. Oh how we love our busy, active, curious boy!


Connor had so much fun at the park that he wore himself right out. We knew when he was getting tired because he started getting grumpy and crying at everything. We went home shortly after his grumpy side appeared and he crashed, taking a very long, and much-needed nap.

He still takes one nap during the day. Occasionally there are days where he refuses to go to sleep, and I wonder if he really needs nap. If on those days I postpone his nap or try to get him to go without one so he'll fall asleep earlier that night, I always regret it. Inevitably he gets so cranky and becomes impatient and frustrated with every thing that all he does is cry. He still needs his one nap a day. After a good nap, he's back to his happy self.

Last weekend he wasn't feeling good. He had a fever on and off Thursday evening through Friday. He wasn't feverish on Saturday or Sunday, but he was just clingy and cranky, and just cried over everything. Sure signs that he isn't feeling well. I think it was teething, but I'm not sure. He's only got a couple left to come in. I can't wait until he finishes teething. I spent a lot of time in the rocking chair holding him. Poor kid. Tylenol helped the fever and he seemed happier once it kicked in. He still was content to just have me hold him. I hated that he was feeling crummy, but I didn't mind the extra cuddles. I love rocking him, and I don't get to do it that much these days. My baby is growing up. By Monday he was back to his normal cheerful, energetic self.


We had Connor's carseat in the house the other day, and he decided that was the coolest thing. He wouldn't play with any of his toys, but instead insisted on sitting in it and playing with the straps. He loved it. Every time I left the room and walked back in he would get so excited and kick his feet and shriek. He was quite excited about the whole thing. I couldn't get him out of it. I wish he was that willing to get into his seat when it's in the car.



One evening when we were watching a movie, Connor came to me and wanted me to help him put on a pair of sunglasses. He likes to play with our sunglasses, so I put them on him and off he went. He walked around the couch and was gone for a few minutes. The next thing we know, he comes shuffling over wearing one of Brian's shoes...along with the glasses. He was smiling so big, and Brian and I couldn't help but laugh. Connor was quite pleased with our response, so it became a game. He would wave goodbye, and then shuffle off back around the couch. The sunglasses would fall off, or he'd lose the shoe, and so he'd bring both back over to us to reassemble his outfit. He would get frustrated because every time he bent down to put on the shoe again, his sunglasses fell off. It took some time to convince him to put on the shoe first, before we helped him with the glasses. Once he got it all straightened out, he'd wave goodbye, and head off again. Now he waves goodbye to us whenever he walks out onto the balcony without us or leaves the room.

     


Connor likes to climb into things as well as on them. Whenever there is any sort of container sitting out on the floor, he tries to step inside. He has an activity cube that has a round hole in one side to put blocks through. He is always putting one foot inside the hole and giggling. He tries to put both feet in and they won't fit, which frustrates him. A few nights ago, he was snacking on some cereal puffs. He dumped all the puffs out on the floor, and then played with the empty container, talking into it and waving it around. He then stuck his foot in it and stood up and tried to walk around. He did pretty good walking (hobbling) with the container on his foot. It didn't look comfortable at all, but he was laughing and having a good old time so we figured it didn't hurt him. He looked like a pirate with a peg leg. We couldn't help but laugh. This kid makes us laugh so much each day.


Connor says "mama" and dada" and "BAH" for baby. He loves babies and gets so excited, exclaiming "BAH, BAH, BAH!" when he sees one. If he wants something, specifically something to eat or drink, or if he wants more he'll say "ma, ma, ma" with increasing volume and intensity until we understand and comply. Lately he's started saying "whoa," but he only whispers it. Beyond that he still just babbles and growls. Even though he's not really talking yet, he communicates very well. He points at everything to show us what he wants, what has caught his attention, or what he is excited about. He shakes his head no when he doesn't like or want something. One day we were Skyping with my parents and my dad was pretending to tickle Connor. My mom told Connor to tell Grandpa "no, no, no!" shaking her finger each time she said no. Connor picked up on that pretty quick and will shake his finger at us when we tell him no, or if he wants to say no. He'll wave hello or goodbye or night-night. Sometimes he'll say "ba-ba" for good-bye or "nah-nah" for night night, but not very often. When we were visiting my family in March, we taught him to stay away from their wood-burning stove so he wouldn't touch it and get burnt. Now whenever he sees fire or recognizes that something is hot, he shakes his hand back and forth while blowing air through his lips.

Luke sent us a video a few days ago of a child--4 years old or so--performing some karate moves with his teacher. It was a very cute video, during which the child shouts "hi-ya!" over and over. Connor watched the video with me and thought is was great. The next day, Connor starts to stamp his foot on the ground and yell "da" over and over. It took me awhile to realize that he was copying the child in the video from the day before. He was mimicking the move and saying "hi-ya." It surprised me that he remember the video the next day. Now if Brian or I say "hi-ya" Connor immediately responds with an enthusiastic "da!" as he nods his head. It's hilarious.   

He can identify and point to his ears, eyes, nose, mouth, teeth, and toes. He makes animals noises for elephants, snakes, and sometimes bears. He buzzes his lips for an elephant, hisses for a snake, and growls for bears. He gets so excited when he sees a cat, dog, bird, butterfly, or bug. Whenever we see a bug in a book, he'll slap it to squish it. When you ask him about skunks he'll plug his nose. When you ask him what a monkey says he'll stick his lips out into a pucker, but he won't make any sound. He's started to blow in and out a little when he does it, but still won't make a sound. I think it's because he's not sure how to make a monkey sound, but he's got the lips right so if he were to make any sound at all, it would sound like a monkey. We just can't get him to make sound when he does it. It's so funny!


He loves to roughhouse with Brian or me. He's always crawling all over us when we're sitting or laying down. He giggles the whole time, and we have a lot of fun playing with him and being silly together. 



Connor turned 17 months old at the end of April. We only have one month left before he can go into nursery at church. We can't wait. It's gotten impossible to keep him quiet and still during church. Once he's in nursery, Brian and I will be able to enjoy the classes/lessons again. We've been taking turns going to nursery with him, which helps. He loves nursery, so I don't think he'll have a problem going by himself once it's time.

He still wears 18 month shirts and onesies (they're still a bit big on him), size 12 month pants (a little big), and size 5 diapers. I put his shorts from last summer on him and they still fit. They're size 9 months. Haha! Scrawny kid. He does well eating most days. If he's sick he loses his appetite, but otherwise he is a fairly good eater. He'll eat a good breakfast and lunch at least. At dinner he'll usually only eat a few bites. Not sure what to do about that. I've had trouble getting him to gain weight in the past, so it always makes me nervous when he stops eating because he's sick or just because he doesn't want to. His favorite foods are yogurt, pickles, tomatoes, cucumbers, fruit of any kind--especially bananas, strawberries, raspberries, apples, and grapes--bagels, ham, and cheese. He's stopped liking vegetables for the most part. He used to love green beans, but now won't touch them. However, he will still eat the fruit/vegetable pouches, so at at least I can get some vegetables into him that way. He's such a weird eater sometimes. The kid will eat sauerkraut, but won't touch a pb&j sandwich. 

Brian got called to be the new Elder's Quorum President in our ward (North Ogden 6th Ward, Coldwater Stake). We've known for about a month, but he just got set-apart last Sunday. He's nervous and excited for the calling, and has been studying, praying, planning, and organizing since he accepted the call. He's going to do an amazing job. 

April has been full of good things. Now that the weather is consistently pleasant, we look forward to more days filled with fun outdoor activities. As much as we can plan for it, May is looking like it's going to be filled with good and happy things as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment