So for our date night last night, Brian took me to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). I ended up loving it! It was the best date night ever!
These first pictures are of random paintings and objects that they had on the first three floors. I really loved this painting of the flag.
They had a whole exhibit in their contemporary gallery about housewares. Really weird chair that doesn't look comfortable at all.
| This helicopter was hanging in the main stairwell. |
This was the first thing that caught my eye as we walked into a gallery on the first floor. I thought "Really? You people need to get out more!" I guess its novel to those who haven't ever seen real life hay bales before. It smelled like home though and I got a little homesick.
Brian in front of a bridge made from steel wool. I thought It was made of muddy rope. I would have never guessed steel wool.
| This honeycomb vase was made by bees. Very cool! |
As you are going to find out very quickly, the paintings were my favorite part. I took so many pictures. I tried to only include my favorites, but that was a lot of them. This one is by Jackson Pollock. I know a lot of people think his paintings are weird but I love them. This one was Untitled.
| The Olive Trees by Vincent Van Gogh |
The next two are by Georges-Pierre Seurat. The technique is called Pointillism meaning the picture is made up of tiny dots of paint. Very cool. This one is called The Channel at Gravelines, Evening.
| The Channel at Gravelines, Evening |
| Grandcamp Evening |
These next ones are all by Pablo Picasso. Weird paintings but still really cool.This one is called Violin and Grapes and was my favorite.
| Vase of Flowers by Pablo Picasso |
| Landscape by Jean Metzinger. I loved the colors in this one. |
| Dynamism of a Soccer Player by Umberto Boccioni |
These next few are Brian's favorites. They are by Piet Mondrian. The black and white with just a touch of color really is striking.
| Composition with Red and Blue by Piet Mondrian |
| Tableau I: Lozenge with Four Lines and Grey by Piet Mondrian |
These next ones were all by Monet. The pictures really don't do them justice. They were gorgeous! They are so relaxing to look at, I could have stayed there the rest of the night.
The Japanese Footbridge. These paintings are so beautiful. When you are close to them you just see swirls of color. But when you stand back, you can identify the subject.
| The Japanese Footbridge by Monet |
| Water Lilies by Monet |
Brian was really tired at this point so he found a bench and parked it. We left soon, because it was about time to get some food in him.
Here is a picture of the city just outside MoMa. It was starting to get dark and the lights were pretty.
Carnegie Deli was just a couple of blocks away so we had to go and try it. We had heard a lot about from Brian's parents, and thought we should give it a go. First they brought out a plate of pickles. This is after we had eaten a couple.
Brian ordered a cornbeef sandwich. We were expecting it to be big from the stories, but you just can't grasp how big until its put in front of you. It is so much meat!
I ordered a turkey sandwich with tomato and lettuce. Again I was expecting the meat, but not the half a head of lettuce and half a tomato! It was crazy.
Brian had no trouble digging in and tackling his sandwich. I know its not a surprise to anyone who knows him well.
I had to take three fourths of it off to be able to fit it in my mouth.
We splurged on a piece of cheesecake. It was melt-in-your-mouth amazing! We have lots of leftovers of this too.
We walked back down to Times Square because it was the closest subway station. It was really neat at night. It's almost like walking in daylight.
We passed by a policeman on a horse with a line of people waiting to get their pictures taken with him. I didn't want to wait so I just snapped a quick one as we walked by.
The photo of the sign in the subway didn't show up. What did it say?
ReplyDeleteI think you are probably the only person who knows how to spell "agapanthas", and know what they are. I'd call them "tall flowers" or "agathas". I had no idea you were a Jackson Pollack fan. Wow. The things you learn. I hope Brian took home some corned-beef leftovers. You could die from that much meat in your gut. I'll bet it was all good -- and weren't the photos on the wall fun to look at?
It just had "mustache" written over the upper lip of a woman. It was written so that it looked like a curly mustache. Brian thought it was hilarious. I love Monet partly because of the subject matter! I do like Jackson Pollock. They had some of his drawings there that I didn't like. His paintings with all the colors, drips, splatters, and lines are my favorite. I think they are so interesting to look at! Brian has tons of leftovers. He only ate about a fourth of the sandwich while we were there. It was a really fun place. Someday when we are earning more money, we will go back!
ReplyDelete