This last week we were able to go to the Manhattan Temple for the very first time. We went on Friday night with our ward. I went into the city on the subway in time to meet Brian as he got off work. We went and had a cheap dinner a few blocks away from PC Magazine, then we headed to Lincoln Center which is where the Temple is located.
We ended up being really early, so we went and walked around for a while in the Barnes & Noble that is right next door. I love this Barnes & Noble. It has four floors filled with books and the best part is you get to take an escalator up to each floor. I know, I'm a dork but I love escalators! The store was all decorated for Christmas and had displays of Christmas cards. I really wanted to get some, but they were super expensive!
Eventually it was time for us to head across the street to the Temple. It was dark by this point, but the only part of it that was lit up was the statue of Moroni on top. We went inside and off to the left are the doors to enter the temple, and to the right is the Distribution Center. The Temple doors where very ornate with beautiful stained glass framing them. The temple is really small. After passing the front desk you get on the elevator which takes you up to the other floors. We found the floor to rent the clothing and then it was back onto the elevator to change floors to go to the session.
The rooms were all very small, much different than the Idaho Falls and Rexburg Temples. The Manhattan Temple is actually a building inside a building. They did this so that all the noise would be able to be blocked out. The windows inside are all lit up though as if they led to the outside. It was a very beautiful building, and the Spirit was amazing. As soon as you step through the doors, the city sounds are gone. No more honking horns, squeaking brakes, and hustle and bustle. It's such a drastic change that you can't help but instantly feel calm and peaceful. I've always felt that the temple is a wonderful place of peace, but it is so much more pronounced here. It was so nice to be able to walk into the Lord's House and leave all of our worldly cares behind. We hated to leave after the session ended. It was so nice to just sit and be able to think without any background noise. I've definitely needed this time to recharge my spirit and regroup!
I wasn't able to get any night pictures of the temple because it wasn't lit up, but here are some that we've taken the last couple times we've gone to see it.
I've felt more calm and collected since we were able to go through the Temple. Things have fallen into place this last weekend. Yesterday we were able to sign a year lease on the apartment that we have been subletting. I'm very grateful for the apartment that we have. It is clean, safe, and we've done a good job at making it a haven from the stress of the city. We still don't have a lot of stuff, just what we brought with us for three months. When Brian's parents were here, we were joking that we were like the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. We've left the old country and all of our possessions behind. But we have learned that you really can live with very little. It's not always ideal, but it's do-able. Our plans to go to Idaho for Christmas aren't going to work out so we are here for the holidays. We're both sad about that, but then again it will be nice to just have a quiet little Christmas together. We are planning a trip home as soon as we have the time and money, so we can bring some more stuff back with us.
Also I found out yesterday that the application I put in to write articles for an online company was accepted. This is great news! They have a whole section of how-to articles on flowers, gardening, and crafts. I can work part time during the week on this and then still have time to keep up with all the household stuff. Things are really coming together. :)
We also have a great ward. It is small, but everyone has been very friendly and welcoming. Today I got to teach Relief Society. I really like teaching Relief Society. I learn so much from preparing the lessons and I have the chance to get to know the sisters in the ward better from their comments. The lesson went really well! Brian and I were also called as Ward Missionaries. We have both Elder and Sister missionaries in the ward. They want us to go out once a week with them to teach and connect with the less active members of the ward. I've never been a missionary before so I'm kind of nervous, but I'm excited for this opportunity. My new plan is to be more involved in our ward and schedule more regular temple visits. I think that will help life to feel more normal and will definitely give me a break from all the craziness of the city!
Very well done! i love to read your blog. i am proud of you and love you tons!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that things are starting to feel a little more do-able. What a mind-blower your last few months have been!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like things are going good for you guys! We are glad to hear it! We aren't going home for Christmas either, but we should plan a trip out at the same time!
ReplyDelete