Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lately...

Life has pretty much gone on as usual these last few weeks. Nothing too exciting going on, but I'm writing an update anyway.

Brian decided to stop shaving a few weeks ago because he wanted to grow a beard. I think he is just taking advantage of the fact that he no longer is at BYU-Idaho and is not required to shave everyday. Even though I thought he looked good with it, I really missed my clean shaven husband. Luckily, it reached the point where he needed to start trimming it a little if he was going to keep it. Since that meant more maintenance, he decided to shave it off earlier this week. WAHOO!

I've included a couple mugshots of bearded Brian for your viewing pleasure.



Work is going well for Brian. His editor will pull him aside every so often and tell him how good he is doing. They are also taking the time to help him and push him to become even better, which I think he really appreciates. It still hits him sometimes that he is a writer for PC Magazine in Manhattan, New York. He was in school so long that I think part of him thought he would never make it to a real job, especially a big time one like this. I'm so proud of him...I knew he could do it!

I'm enjoying my writing and have gotten faster at it too. I feel like my writing is improving also, which is great. Lately they haven't had very many gardening articles available so I've been writing a lot about craft and sewing projects. I've written about so many projects that I want to try out! If I ever get to have my sewing machine again I'll go straight to work. Other than writing, I've been keeping really busy with running errands and chores.

I've gotten to experience New York life to its finest this week. I was doing laundry and a couple started getting all touchy-feely against my clothes dryer. I didn't want to watch the show, so I went and sat down on a bench that they have in the laundromat. There was a homeless guy in there with is big old grocery cart full of stuff. I wasn't paying any attention to him until he sat down next to me and proceeded to undress and change clothes. Let me tell you...that was a sight I could have lived without. Luckily the couple had finished their business at this point, laundry and otherwise, and was packing up their clothes to leave, so I could get to mine. There is always an adventure in New York!

I crocheted a baby blanket for Jamie's new little girl that will be arriving in June. It turned out really cute, and I'm quite proud of it. Here's a picture. (She's already seen it so its okay to show everyone)


The weather has been a little crazy the last couple of weeks. We had a nice blizzard with thunder and lightening. It was a really weird experience. I've only seen thunder and lightening during rain storms in the spring and summer. The last few days it has been raining and the temperatures are freezing so everything is icy. Today it is sunny and a bit warmer so the ice is melting and there are slushy puddles everywhere. It sure makes walking to the grocery store interesting.

Rasha (not Russia) didn't get baptized when we thought she would. She ended up not being able to because she has received some threats against her life if she joins the church. Since being baptized will put her life in danger, especially if she returns to Muslim Egypt, they are holding off. She is trying to find a lawyer to help her seek political asylum. She is also trying to find a new place to live because she is currently living with a Muslim family who are not very favorable towards the church. Watching all of this take place has definitely made Brian and I grateful that we are Americans. Our life is so straight forward and simple compared to this.

We have definitely been blessed. We keep working the numbers and on paper this whole New York thing is impossible, but in reality we have been just fine and everything is working out. I know the Lord is watching out for us, and I'm glad because I know we would be completely lost without His help.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, Jess. I love what you think about and write about, and the way you write it. And I love the baby blanket!!! Cute!

    Continue to enjoy your impossible life!

    ReplyDelete