We hit the ground running this year. I hope that it isn't a shadow of what this year will be like. We are busier now that we have Connor, but that was expected. It seems that the rest of life, outside of baby stuff, has just been crazy busy for the last six months or so. Stuff seems to come faster and more frequently than it ever has before.
Brian flew to Las Vegas on January 3rd to attend the Consumer Electronics Show for work. He's attended every year for the last five years. He has a love hate relationship with the trip. He loves getting to see all the new and unique tech gadgets ready for release, and those that are in development for the future, but he hates Vegas. Well everything about Vegas but the food, and even then he gets sick of that by the end of his week-long visit. He starts planning for this trip in August, working over the next five months to set up meetings with people from the big tech companies. By the time he leaves for the show, he's already sick of it. When he came back this year, he said that it worries him that some of the things he sees/finds in Vegas are starting to seem normal.
While Brian was gone, I was home with Connor. Kris drove down to spend the week with me and help out with the baby and housework, errands, etc. I was grateful for the help and the company. She took over baby duty in the mornings and I was able to get some sleep so I wasn't just a zombie. She also tended him so I could get out of the house a bit. I haven't really felt any cabin fever, but it was nice to get outside and see the world again. On my outing I got a haircut. It felt so good to be pampered for a few minutes, and I love how light my hair feels now. Its also faster to dry which is a huge plus these days. Other than that, we mostly stayed inside and hung out due to the cold and snowy weather. It got so cold during the week that my car wouldn't start. It seemed like the battery was on the way out anyway, so I decided to get it replaced. Thanks to our AAA membership, it wasn't a big deal. Every night we binged watched Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies. I've been having withdrawals from them since Brian got home.
All in all the week went well for everyone, and it passed pretty fast. It was just a bummer that Brian was gone. After ten years of marriage, I still really miss him when we're apart. Kris left Saturday morning and Brian arrived home Saturday night, just as the weather was starting to get really crappy. I'm glad everyone was able to travel safely. I'm hoping we can just be home for a bit and catch our breath before the next thing comes up.
This winter has already been worse than last year and we're only one month into it. Our parking lot now holds a giant snow hill, and the plowed areas are covered in icy slush. I don't remember getting this much snow last year. I actually love all the snow and the cold weather, but Brian isn't too keen on it. Driving in Utah is perilous in the best of weather, so you can imagine how bad it is during inclement weather.
Even though the first week and a half of 2017 has been hectic, it's been good. There's so much to be grateful for--we have a brand new year in front of us full of possibility, and we're starting it out with a beautiful new baby. We're looking forward to what this year will bring. I just hope it comes with a bit of down time here and there.
No comments:
Post a Comment