Towards the end of my pregnancy, once we mostly had everything ready for the baby, I started a couple knitting projects to keep myself busy. I'd been wanting to try my hand at stranded or fair isle knitting (creating patterns with two or more colors). I decided to start by knitting some baby hats that used the technique. I chose a very simple color pattern so that I could get a feel for handling two strands of yarn at once. I actually ended up combining two patterns, using the color sequence from one with the hat pattern of the second, and only had to tweak the numbers a bit. (Pattern 1; Pattern 2) I had a lot of fun making them, and I think they turned out really well. It was a good beginner colorwork project that knit up rather quickly.
The hats are still a bit big for Connor, but he'll grow into them.
The second project that I started was a baby blanket using this basketweave pattern. I made a blanket with a similar pattern about a year ago, and liked it so much that I decided to use it again. I started it before Connor was born, and didn't quite get it done before he came. But I've been able to find a little time here and there to work on it since we've brought him home, and I was able to finish it in no time. I ran out of yarn with only one row left so I had to go pick up one more skein to finish it off. Gah! Oh well, now I know for next time.
I chose a very chunky and very soft yarn (Lion Brand's Homeland; color Washington Denim). The blanket turned out quite thick and heavy, and I love the way it feels. It's super snuggly.
I made this blanket as a gift for our nephew Colin (Sean and Andrea's newest addition). We have two more nephews and one niece being born during the next three months. I want to keep up my tradition of crocheting/knitting each new niece and nephew a blanket, so I'm going to be busy trying to get them done. Since this blanket turned out so well, I think I might just make three more using different colors. I'm excited thinking about all that knitting! I really do love it.









Elegant and glorious! Andrea said that the weight of the blanket makes Colin snuggly and sleepy and he loves it. I love the hats! They are so beautiful.
ReplyDelete