Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Connor's 1st Haircut

On December 29th, I gave Connor his first real haircut. I'd trimmed his hair a couple times before, mainly shortening his bangs to keep them out of his eyes. I'd been holding off on a full haircut though because I wanted his hair to grow long enough that I could save a lock or two to put in his baby book. His hair was starting to grow over his ears, and I could see that if I continued to just trim the top/front he would eventually end up with a mullet. So I decided once we got home from our Christmas vacation in Idaho, that it was time for a haircut.

I didn't take a before picture prior to starting his haircut, but these pictures show what his hair looked like the week before I cut his hair.



I put Connor in his booster seat, which I had positioned over the linoleum floor in our kitchen for easy cleanup. I started an episode of Elmo's World on my phone and propped it up on the counter so that he could watch the show while I worked. He was still really wiggly when I first started cutting his hair, but when I gave him a comb to play with, that plus Elmo did the trick and he stayed still enough that I was able to do a pretty good job. 

His hair ended up shorter than I had intended, and I will admit it was a bit of a shock for me at first. I cut it with scissors, but it ended up looking like a buzz cutt when I was finished. I should have just used the clippers. Haha! I immediately missed his locks with their wave in the front and their curl in the back. I may have wanted to cry a little to be honest. Haha! What had I done?! His hair is so white-blonde that he looks bald again in certain lights. It will grow back--fast I hope. I probably will keep it longer going forward. I just miss his wavy hair too much to keep it this short.



It's not perfect by any means, but not horrible either. He's adorable no matter what though. 


The haircut didn't seem to bother Connor at all. As soon as I took him out of his chair, he went right to playing. It was hard to get him to look at me so that I could take after pictures. 

     


It's been almost a week now, and I've gotten used to his short hair. It's already starting to grow in. It may be quite awhile before I give him another haircut. We might just stick to trims from now on.

1 comment: