We went to our church building which is in Woodside, just one subway stop away. The missionaries weren't there yet when we arrived, but we found the girl we were meeting with. It was starting to snow and the front doors were locked, so we had to walk around to the side doors to see if they were open. Luckily they were and we were able to wait inside where it was warm. The missionaries ended up being 45 minutes late because their other appointment ran over. It was okay though because Brian and I got to talk to Rasha and get to know her better.
Like I just mentioned, her name is Rasha and means "baby deer" in Arabic which is her native language. Her English was very good, and we didn't have any trouble understanding her even with her accent. She had moved to the United States about 3 1/2 months ago, and has only been in New York for about two weeks. She had been living in Virginia with a good friend before coming to New York. I asked her if New York was a culture shock for her and she said no. Apparently the part of Egypt she is from is a big city just like this, so she is used to lots of people and noise. We asked her why she wanted to come to the U.S. and she said because of everything! It made me very grateful that I was born here. She doesn't have any family over here, just a few friends. I'm not very clear on how the missionaries found her. She just said that she asked for help and they came.
Finally, the Elders showed up and we found a quiet room. Brian said an opening prayer and then the Elders began teaching about the First Vision. It was such an amazing experience. The Spirit was so strong and it was so neat to be able to bear testimony of what we believe. She told us that she felt happy when she read the Book of Mormon and had lots of questions. She was so excited when the Elders told her there was a living prophet today. She wanted to know who he is, where he lives, and if she could meet him! You could tell that the Lord had been preparing her from what she said she has felt and experienced in her life.
I have never been a missionary before, at least never taught a non-member. I know I keep saying this, but it was so amazing. It reminded me how lucky I am to have the gospel and be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We just talked about simple things that I have been told over and over since Primary, but to see her eyes light up at each new piece of information was great. I was so happy that I could share something that I have been given with someone who didn't know about it. To be the Lord's tool in helping one of His children find the truth. It was so awesome to be able to see the gospel through another person's eyes. To see it so fresh and new and to realize how much I take for granted.
When we left, I hugged her and she asked me to pray for her. I said that I would, and have been. I hope she comes to church on Sunday so we can see her again. She was so great and it was so nice to meet her.
I have once again been reminded of the precious blessing that I have. It has caused me to stop and take a look at my life and how I'm living it. I've found areas that I need to improve and I've set goals to do so. This experience has definitely strengthened my testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and the reality that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. I hope we get to have more experiences like this while here in New York.
That is so awesome Jess! I wish I could have been there- I've never experienced that type of thing and so that's really amazing! You guys must be having a blast and enjoying the culture out there- who knows maybe when Nate and I go back east we can come visit! :)
ReplyDeleteWe would love for you guys to come visit when you are out here. Just let us know when!
ReplyDelete.......happy........
ReplyDelete