Brian met up with us at St. Paul's chapel at the end of our walking tour, and after exploring inside a bit we caught a cab to Rolf's German Restaurant for dinner. It was a cute little place.
So I'm not the most adventurous person when it comes to food. I was a little nervous to try something new and as I was reading the menu I realized that I had no idea what any of it was. Luckily Layne and Kris were there to tell me what everything was and recommend a nice, safe dish for me. I ended up getting Jaeger Schnitzel in a mushroom sauce with green beans and spatzle on the side.
For my Idaho friends and family, jaeger schnitzel is chunks of veal and mushrooms in a brown gravy like sauce. Spatzle are noodles that look like scrambled eggs. Noodle dough is put into boiling water to cook and so it forms into random shapes. It was all very delicious.
Brian got Roast Pork Loin with red cabbage and a potato cake. I tried his red cabbage and didn't care for it, but the other stuff was good. I also had some of Kris' sauerkraut and really liked it too.
After dinner we headed back to our apartment for the night. The next morning Layne and Kris left for the airport. :( It was so sad to see them go. I hate goodbyes. But we are very happy that they were able to come and visit us and that we got to do all of this fun stuff with them.
Oh yes dinner was fun! And the restaurant was cute! And you were adventurous to try a new thing! And you are so sweet and positive.
ReplyDeleteWe hated to leave! We are home now and miss you both. It was such a great visit. =)
Hint to anyone visiting NYC, however: My sauerbraten wasn't good at all, and I had to send it back. I asked for a bratwurst instead and they sent a bockwurst. Bad sign that the cooks don't speak English OR German.