So at this point I'm starting to get a little worried about being late. So I walk to the nearest bus stop to take a bus across Queens to the subway stop where transfers to a different train are available. This is the next fastest route into Manhattan. There was a line down the block for the bus station, so I kept walking to the next one and it isn't any better. When the 7 train shuts down, everything gets backed up. So I'm waiting at the bus stop and bus after bus after bus keeps passing by with their signs saying "Please wait for next bus" because they are full to capacity plus some. I waited for 30 minutes and still no buses.
So on to Plan C...taxi. I didn't really want to take a taxi but it was becoming quite clear that it was the only way that I was going to make it to my appointment. So I ran to a nearby ATM and got some cash out and flagged down a taxi. First time hailing a taxi by myself by the way...I felt really proud. Hahaha! So I climb in, give the driver the address and away we go. At this point the overcast sky has broken open and torrents of rain are coming down. Luckily I'm in a cab, but the rain means more traffic because people don't want to walk in it. We finally made it across the bridge to Manhattan and by this time I'm ten minutes late. I swear that we hit every red light across the city just because I was in a hurry. Finally, we made it to the place and I paid the cab driver, which was not fun. Cabs are expensive and that is why this was only my second time riding in one. I hadn't grabbed an umbrella because I didn't think about it. The cab driver offered to get out and walk with me down the block holding his umbrella over me so I wouldn't get drenched. It was a really nice offer, but I didn't have time to wait for him so I said no, jumped out of the cab and ran down the sidewalk until I found the meeting place.
I ended up being a half an hour late, which was okay because I had called and said that I was running late. Luckily, they were all really nice and understanding (yay for church members) and I hadn't really missed much. I was still frustrated though because sometimes, okay most of the time, I feel very overwhelmed living here. Then something goes wrong and I'm not familiar with New York City life enough to figure out how to fix it, and I end up getting all stressed out and feeling even more overwhelmed, and I HATE being late. So I was really late, almost lost, wet from the rain and overwhelmed.
After the meeting I called Brian because we were planning to have lunch together. I was walking towards his office and he met me halfway, and I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I just broke down and started crying when I saw him. Its been a very stressful few weeks and I was wet and cold and overwhelmed and it just happened. He gave me a hug, which was just what I needed. I have the best husband in the whole world! We found a little deli to eat at and get out of the rain. The food was great and the company was better. It was the one bright spot in the whole day.
After lunch I went to the Temple to visit the Distribution Center and see if they had a Children's songbook for my primary calling. I was waiting to cross the street just across from the temple and there was a large puddle in the street. Just as I realized that I should probably step back away from it, a taxi sped through the intersection and the puddle, splashing (or drenching) me in the process. The lady at the front desk in the Temple building gave me a funny look when I walked in. Probably because I was dripping wet with mascara running down my face. I was a pitiful sight. I wasn't able to get a book because the distribution center only sells clothing. So now I have to order it online, and I guess I'll just have to go to the library and print a copy off of the songs we are working on for this week. Anyways, I finally gave up on today and made my way home where I am now in comfy pajamas curled up in bed writing my story.
It has just been one of those days.
P.S. On a happier note....yesterday I was balancing our checkbook and found out that somehow we had more money than I thought. That extra money more than took care of the cab fee today. The Lord is definitely aware of the small stuff.
Oh Sweetie!!!! I'm sorry you had a stressful, frustrating day. I'm glad you have a husband to hug you. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it -- in retrospect.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'll bet it was a bad day for the person who fell on the tracks of the 7 train.
ReplyDelete