Saturday, July 23, 2011

Shakespeare in the Park

We have had a few people tell us to go see Shakespeare in the Park so we decided that it we'd better do it. The plays are performed at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. The tickets are free and are given out at 1 p.m. the day of the show. The only problem is that you have to show up super early and then wait around in line all day to get them. They have a virtual ticket drawing, which I had been entering every night, but was never chosen. So I decided that Friday was the day that I was going to go wait in line. Brian's work schedule seemed to be okay that day, (much better than Wednesday when he didn't get home until midnight!) and I was able to work ahead during the week so that I could have Friday free.

So I got up and got ready and rode into Manhattan with Brian as he was headed into work. We parted ways at Grand Central. Brian headed south to work, and I headed north to Central Park. We left at 7:30 a.m. and it was already hot. When we stepped outside of our apartment building, it felt like we had stepped into a bathroom after someone had taken a long, hot shower. We were instantly sticky and sweaty. Unbeknownst to me, that day was supposed to be super hot (read next post).

The Delacorte Theater is located just west of Belvedere Castle, which we had seen last week. So luckily I knew where I was going. Once I got into the Park, it was quick and easy to find. The line was already so long when I got there. I was worried that I hadn't come early enough. It was winding down the pathway and around the corner from the theater. There were people camped out on blankets and lawn chairs either reading, talking or sleeping. I finally came to the end of the line and set up my little camp. I spread out my blanket and got out my kindle. I had packed a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast and brought some food for lunch if I needed it. I was super grateful that I had thought to bring three large water bottles as well. At this point, it was around 8:30 a.m.

For awhile, no one else came and I was worried that I was going to be at the end and not get tickets. After a bit though, more people showed up. Here is a picture of the line extending past me. I was about at the halfway point. You can kind of see all the people lined up along the path. It kept going past the trees.


I was worried that I was going to be bored during the 4 1/2 hours I had to sit there and wait, but the time went by fairly quickly. It was nice to just sit and read my kindle and watch the people around me and those walking through the park. I was sitting next to a lady from South Africa who I found out is a museum curator. She was really nice and I loved her accent. On the other side of me was an older lady and her granddaughter. They really had a little camp. They had lawn chairs set up over mats that spread clear across the pathway. They had a large umbrella that they stuck through the fence we were up against. They had food, a whole bag of water and spray bottles. It was pretty funny, because after taking forever to set up their little oasis, the grandma took a towel and chair across the path into the bushes underneath a tree and sat there most of the time.

One of the theater's security people would walk buy every so often and tell us the rules. We could only leave the line to go to the bathroom or to purchase food/snacks from the theater's concession stand. We had to tell our neighbor that we were going to do those things before we left so that we wouldn't get sent to the back of the line. We couldn't leave the line to take phone calls or pretty much anything else, or we would be sent to the back. He also told us the first time around, that it was supposed to feel like 115 degrees. I almost started laughing, because that is just my luck. The one day I decide to go wait for tickets ends up being the hottest day of the summer. hahaha

I survived though. It was shady and there was a nice cool breeze for around the first 1 1/2 hours or so. It was actually quite pleasant, and I was really enjoying my time. Then the sun started moving and the shade went away. I was stuck in the sun for the next 2 hours. I hung my blanket up on the fence to create some shade and kept chugging water. Finally, the shade returned, but the heat didn't go away. It was super hot and muggy and even the wind was hot. I don't think I've ever sweated that much or drank that much water in my entire life. Finally 1 o'clock came and I got 2 tickets to see "Measure for Measure". I was so excited!

I went back home because the show wasn't until 8:00 that night. I took the coldest shower I think I've ever taken in my life and fell asleep. I was super exhausted from the heat. I woke up and got ready again and went back into Manhattan where I met Brian at the edge of Central Park. We had yummy falafels for dinner, and then walked through the park to the theater. At this point it was around 7:00 and it had cooled down to a nice 98 degrees. Ouch!

There is a portion of the park right next to the theater that is called Shakespeare's Garden. I thought it was very pretty. I love the wooden fence that lines the paths. There is an open grassy area (the grass is thin and dry though) in the garden that you walk through to get to Belvedere Castle.



There is rock everywhere in the park. Walking down from Shakespeare's Garden to the Theater, you get to walk down these steps. They are carved right into the stone in the ground. Pretty cool.


We had to wait a little bit before the doors opened for seating so I left Brian and took a few pictures of the theater.


This is a statue of King Lear. You can see Brian sitting down in the white shirt to the right of the statue.


There is also a slightly risque statue of Romeo & Juliet.


They don't allow photography in the theater at all because the stage is copyrighted. So sorry, no pictures of the play. :( It was a super awesome experience. I would give it 5 stars. If you are ever in New York during the summer and have the chance, I definitely recommend trying for tickets. The play was wonderful, the actors amazing and the setting perfect. As the sun set, Belvedere Castle lit up right above and behind the set. Turtle pond is between the castle and the stage and a few ducks kept flying overhead right above us. They were so close I could hear their wings flapping. There was a soft glow all around from the lights of the city surrounding the park as it got dark. Although it was dark, I was only able to count 4 stars. I do miss seeing the sky full of stars at night.

It was such an awesome experience. I had one of those out of body moments when you look at where you are and it's hard to imagine that you are really there doing what you are doing. I hope that makes sense, I don't know how else to explain it. I got to sit in the middle of Central Park with my Brian and watch a live Shakespeare play as the sun set. It was a magical experience and one I will remember forever. We are getting to do and see so many things here in New York that I never in a million years dreamed I would be doing. Life is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment