Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shoe Shopping with Brian

So this morning as we were getting ready to head out for the day, Brian asked if we could go shoe shopping. It took me a moment to realize that he was serious, and then another moment to get over my shock. This is the same guy who I try to take shoe shopping and I get him in the store and he starts to hyperventilate. This really happens. I don't understand it.

I remember the first time we went shoe shopping together. He needed a new pair, like his shoes-were-falling-apart-pieces-falling-off needed a pair. I left him in the men's aisle and wandered over to the women's section where I lost myself to the bliss of trying on pair after pair. I finally tore myself away after a little while thinking that he had probably found something at that point. I walked into his aisle and found him sitting in the same spot that I had left him in and he was so stressed out! I really couldn't believe it. He had tried on a couple of pairs, but we left without purchasing anything because he was so worked up. He wouldn't go back to a shoe store for weeks. Hahahaha It makes me laugh every time I think of it. I was so confused about what was going on. Going shoe shopping is one of my favorite things. I will even go into the store and try shoes on just for the fun of it. I couldn't fathom that he was stressed because we were shoe shopping.

Anyways, he hasn't changed much since that first experience through the last almost five (yay!) years of marriage. At least I thought, until today. Again his shoes have reached the point that they have been worn into the ground, the heel portion is literally peeling off. He voluntarily asked to go shoe shopping without me having ever said anything about it. I am so proud of him. :) I realize as I'm typing this that this change has probably been brought about by New York City life. We walk EVERYWHERE, everyday so the need for a good, sturdy pair of shoes is essential. When your old ones wear out you can't afford not to address the issue, but hey I'll take what I can get.

I got to wander a bit in the clearance section of the shoe store while I left Brian to his own devices. I found the cutest pair of black, sparkly heels. I thought, "it's the clearance section, surely I can at least LOOK at the price tag." I was wrong, they were $400.00! I don't know if that is before or after the reduction but I had to push my jaw shut with my hand. Wowee!

I wandered back to Brian and he was trying shoes on. I even got to help pick a few pairs for him to try on!


Finally he found the perfect pair. I could tell when he put them on because he started walking around in them and he started to smile. He even jumped up and down in them a bit.


He started stressing as we were walking up to buy them. He was worried that he would end up hating them and have to hassle about returning them. So we turned around and I had him try them on one more time. As soon as one of the shoes was on his foot he remembered why he had picked them.


He changed into them after leaving the store and we ended up walking a good amount afterwards as we were checking out the city. The more we walked, the more he relaxed about the purchase. So yes, there was still stress, but not nearly as much as usual. Tonight he even thanked me for going shopping with him and admitted that he loves his new shoes. :) Success.

4 comments:

  1. For the record, despite how it sounds, I'm not autistic. I just really hate buying shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you came through the experience without cardiac arrest setting in! Funny, funny, funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least you can buy shoes off the rack! I had to order and return three pairs of shoes before I found my new pair. So pretty much I either have to order 3-4 pairs at a time and hope one fits, or I have to start looking 3 months before my shoes actually wear out because with shipping and all the returns, my shoes will completely fall apart at about the same time I finally find a pair that are satisfactory. I too hate buying shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I didn't teach my kids the joys of shopping..........just the stress-out of spending money. Sorry.
    But I'm glad that Brian
    a) is not autistic
    b) has new shoes
    c) didn't have a panic attack
    d) jumped in the shoes.
    That I can picture -- he probably strutted a bit as well.

    ReplyDelete