Saturday, July 23, 2011

We're Having a Heat Wave

Goodness gracious it's been hot! Yesterday was a record breaking day. It was 103 degrees but with the humidity it felt like 115. I have never been exposed to this kind of heat before. There were heat advisory warnings yesterday that recommended limiting your outdoor exposure. That is so crazy to me! I've never lived anywhere where there were heat warnings. I'm used to severe cold warnings for below zero temperatures, but never heat. I suppose it has reached 100 or a little over in Idaho but that isn't very often. Also, there isn't any humidity in Idaho. After experiencing the humid heat here, I really miss my dry Idaho heat.

Moving to New York, I never really thought about the climate. I assumed it would the same as the west coast, but I was wrong. It is humid here, and that makes everything feel hotter or colder than it actually is. This is definitely a new experience for me. Brian served his mission in Fort Worth, Texas where the hottest temperatures he experienced were 105 or 110. He also says that it was very humid there too. So he has had experience with this kind of heat before. That doesn't mean that he likes it though.

I am so so so grateful for our air-conditioner. I honestly don't know what we would do without it. Our apartment is soooo hot. I wish we had a thermometer to be able to tell just how hot. We crank up our air-conditioner and shut our bedroom door and just live in there. When we walk out to our living room, the heat just hits you in the face. It's crazy.

There is a small window in our bathroom, in the shower. We set our shampoo/conditioner and soap on the window ledge. When I used my shampoo yesterday it was hot! That is a weird experience, using hot shampoo. Even our bar of soap was hot and soft. It's been pretty warm for the last few weeks, but not warm enough to heat up my shampoo!

Today it is super hot as well, except it's a bit nicer than yesterday. You know something is wrong when it is 98 degrees outside (feeling like 102) and you're grateful that it has cooled down a bit. We were waiting in line outside the movie theater to buy tickets for Captain America, and my feet were super hot on the pavement. I had to keep switching which foot to stand on to cool them off.

I'm praying that it cools down quickly. I don't know if I can survive the rest of the summer with these temperatures. I'm definitely not a hot weather person.

1 comment: