Not much changed from week one to week two. He got a little bigger, his bruises cleared up, and the blisters on his head started to go away.
He's started staying awake a little more in between feedings. This is nice, because we get to see his pretty eyes more. He is still really calm, and only ever gets upset and really starts to cry when he's hungry. He sleeps up until the point that he is starving and then wakes up crying ready to eat. He gets so impatient for his food, and I wish he'd give us a little more warning in between sleeping and wanting to eat. I just need to anticipate him better I guess.
He's a wiggly little fellow, and loves to lay on his back so he can stretch out his arms and legs. It's hard to capture a good picture of him when he's awake because he's always moving and most of them turn out blurry.
He still curls up and sinks in on himself when we hold him. I love it so much and call him my squishy. He has a lot of almost sneezes, where he winds up to sneeze but it never comes. The little noise he makes after one of those is hard to describe but adorable (it's almost like a sigh of disappointment). He makes the most delightful little sing-songy sighs as he's eating, and scarfs down his 2 to 3 ounces of milk in no time.
So when you leave the hospital, they tell you that your baby is supposed to have so many wet and poopy diapers everyday. Well, when he goes a full day without a wet diaper and three full days without a poopy diaper you start to worry (separate occasions). So I called the doctor to make sure he was alright, and he was. What they don't tell you when you leave the hospital is to wait a couple days if he doesn't have a wet diaper before worrying, because he's probably just dehydrated a little or adjusting to his new schedule at home. They also don't tell you that babies can go up to seven days without having a poopy diaper and as long as they aren't throwing up, straining, or have a hard stomach, they're probably fine. Why don't they tell you these other parameters is beyond me. Maybe they like to make you worry, or better yet they like to get unnecessary calls from worried moms. Yes, I'm that kind of mom, but that's okay. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The good news is, he did wet and soil his diaper a few hours after I made each call, so false alarms. I've never been so concerned about bowel movements in my life, and that probably won't change for a while now.
Oh and since we've brought him home, I sleep more lightly than I used to. During the first week especially, I would wake up often to check and make sure he was still breathing and alright. I laughed at my sisters when they told me they did this with their first babies. Now I totally understand them and do the same thing. Although, I've slept better this second week and have stopped doing that as much.
My Mom left this week. It's always sad to see her go, but this time especially so. It was so nice to have her here to help as we got started with this little man. I've been a lot more tired since she left. I think I've overdone it a bit this week, trying to keep up on the cleaning, laundry, and meals like I normally do, all while taking care of Connor by myself full time. Brian went back to work this week as well. He helps out when he gets home, which is wonderful. I couldn't do it without him. I'm definitely starting to feel exhausted again. But it's all worth it, and we're super happy despite the sleep deprivation.







I remember Paul and I having serious discussions about poopy diapers.
ReplyDelete