Saturday, December 3, 2016

Third Trimester

Here are the highlights I want to remember about my third trimester.

29 Weeks

Our little guy has started kicking so hard this last week or so. We sat down to dinner the other night and Brian started to say a prayer over the food. In the middle of said prayer, the baby kicked so hard that it scared me and I let out a little yelp. Brian hurriedly finished the blessing and then we both started to laugh. It was the strongest kick I'd felt yet, and I wasn't expecting it at all. It was just shy of hurting. He's done that a few times since, and each time it's made me jump. I wish there was a way to predict when that would happen. Haha!

Speaking of being jumpy, I've been a lot more so since becoming pregnant. I'm normally easy to scare, and occasionally Brian delights in hiding and jumping out to surprise me. It's gotten really bad since becoming pregnant. The first time Brian scared me after I became pregnant, I let out a blood curdling scream. It sounded like I was being murdered--and we thought for sure the neighbors would alert the police. We laughed so much at that. He's stopped doing that since then, but I sometimes still will get surprised/scared if I'm not expecting him to walk into a room, etc. It's made life very interesting.

This week I've also developed a craving for ice chips. I don't know what it is, but a big old glass of water full of ice is the most amazing thing in the world. When the water's gone, I love sucking and chewing on the leftover ice.

This week I also had an appointment with my OB. It was a busy appointment this time. I had to take a glucose test, which I'd been dreading. I remember my mom having to take one when she was pregnant with Annie, and she hated doing it. I'd been getting more nervous about it the closer it came...mostly because I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep the glucose down. It ended up not being that bad at all. I drank the orange flavored glucose drink in about five minutes. I couldn't quite chug the whole thing down at once. It wasn't as sweet as I'd thought it would be...it tasted like flat orange pop that had been opened and left in the fridge for a few days. I felt relieved when I didn't feel sick to my stomach after drinking it all. We arrived a bit early for our appointment, and while waiting for the blood draw for the glucose test (they draw blood one hour after finishing the drink) I received both a whooping cough and flu shot. One in each arm. Then we waited just a bit longer and they drew my blood. Lots of pokes that day.

After all of that, they ushered us over to an exam room where we got to have a 3D ultrasound. I've always thought that these ultrasounds are kind of weird and never really cared to get one. The office just got a new machine and offered us a 3D ultrasound for free, so we said why not. We probably wouldn't have done it had it not been free. It was kind of neat though, and we always love a chance to see our little guy. He was all snuggled up next to the placenta with his arms up by his face, and it took some coaxing to get him to move enough to get a good look at his face. We think he's pretty adorable. It was fun to see his face and his little hands and feet.





After the ultrasound was done, we met with the doctor for a bit. My blood pressure and weight gain all look good. We discussed the baby's movements for a bit. He informed us that if I ever get worried because the baby isn't moving so much to just count the movements for a two hour period. As long as the baby moves at least 10 times during that period, then he is fine.

This week we registered for a childbirth preparation class at the hospital. That starts the first week of October. We've also started looking for a pediatrician. We're getting closer, and I'm become more excited and nervous as each week passes!

30 Weeks

Are we really at thirty weeks already! I feel that the second trimester went so fast--the 20's just flew by. We're on the last stretch. Only 10-ish weeks left. We're getting really excited, but I'm starting to realize just how much we have to do in that short time period to get ready. I'm feeling very overwhelmed about all of it and very antsy to just go and buy everything and be done. I might be feeling a bit of this nesting phenomenon everyone talks about. We're holding off just a bit longer to buys stuff, until after the baby shower.

31 Weeks

I had a Dr. appointment this week. We are now at the point where we have appointments with the OB every two weeks. Crazy. It was a shorter appointment--nothing too exciting this time. I got a quick ultrasound to make sure baby looks good, and he does. His little heart is still pumping away just like it should be. The doctor also pointed out the outline of the baby's head. It looked a little wavy/fuzzy--not as crisp of a line as it was previously-- and the doctor commented that it may indicate the presence of hair. He said he's not guaranteeing that our baby will have a  flowing mane of hair, but there will probably be at least a little fuzz. I'm so excited!

During the appointment, I also talked to the Dr. about getting an epidural. I've been wondering just exactly how that all works, because I want one. I've been doing some reading about it, and was nervous that it's possible for them to wear off if you get one too soon. I was greatly reassured when the Dr. said that the way the epidurals are done at this hospital is to provide a continuous supply of medicine so they won't wear off. He said also that they give me a button to push so I can control the flow if I feel like it's too light. I was very relieved to hear that. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. He also said that there isn't a specific time during the labor process where he recommends getting one. As long as labor is active, the baby is positioned as it should be in the birth canal, and everything looks good, then I can request one at any time. Another relief. All this info has really helped me feel more calm and relaxed about labor. Except I'm just hoping my labor isn't super fast--like my mom's always was--so that I have time to get an epidural!

Also this week, we started our childbirth preparation class. Our class meets for four consecutive Wednesday nights, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. We met at McKay Dee Hospital, where we plan to deliver, and were told to bring a couple of pillows and wear comfy clothes. There are seven other couples in the class with us. Most of them are having their first baby too, and all of them but one are expecting boys. I really like the nurse leading the class, and although we just talked about what to expect during the third trimester (most of what I already know or am experiencing now) it was still really good and helped me feel even calmer about pregnant life and what is coming. We ended with massage techniques, which were very relaxing. Next week we get to talk about the labor/delivery process and take a tour of the labor and delivery section of the hospital. I'm really looking forward to that.

32 Weeks

My belly is so big. Everyday I wake up and it's bigger, and heavier. I can't believe we still have eight more weeks left! I hope my skin will stretch as much as it needs to. Each time I take a step when I walk, I feel the baby bounce down on my bladder. That's been fun.

I've developed a waddle when I walk. When I'm paying attention, I try not to do it, but as soon as I stop concentrating, I'm back to waddling. Brian does a really good impression of a pregnancy walk. I'll have to record him doing it sometime. He makes me laugh!

In our birthing class this week we talked about the labor and delivery process. Again, it didn't freak me out but helped me feel more calm. We were shown two birth videos. In each, the mother went without any pain medication. The videos didn't freak us out like we thought, but after we both wondered why anyone would brave labor without pain relief! We got to walk around the labor and delivery wing in the hospital. That was fun to see where all the action will take place.

33 Weeks


      

Overall I'm still feeling mostly great. I've had a couple evenings while making dinner that I've experienced some cramping in my back. I don't think it was labor or Braxton-Hicks contractions, but it did hurt a bit. Luckily, Brian was home to step in so I could sit down and put my feet up. As soon as I was resting, the cramps went away. It's getting a little harder to get comfortable at night. I'm up every few hours to use the bathroom, eat a tums, and shift positions in bed. Around 2 to 3 am every night, our little guy decides to practice his tap dancing moves...I'm not sure exactly what he's doing in there, but he is super active. It's cute, but also kind of annoying because I'm so tired then and just want to sleep.

Speaking of moving, when he really gets kicking, you can see my belly do the wave. It's so neat, and a little weird, to watch by stomach wiggle, move, and ripple from the outside as he does the same inside. This last Sunday, when we were singing a hymn during sacrament meeting, he started moving. I would stop singing and he'd stop moving, and then when I would start singing again he'd give me a good kick. It was pretty funny.

This last Saturday, we went on a shopping spree for baby stuff. We had a long list of supplies we needed to get, and were able to get most of them. It was so fun shopping for baby stuff, especially clothes. Baby clothes are very dangerous--they're super cute and each item by itself is relatively inexpensive--it's hard not to go crazy and spend too much. We picked out a going home outfit...and of course it is Batman. It's 0-3 months so it's probably going to be too big, but we wanted him to be able to wear it for awhile. 


I feel like we're about 95 percent prepared now for baby to come. There are still a few items that we need/want to get--a stroller, baby monitor, and baby carrier, etc. But these are all things that can wait a little bit. At this point, we just need to install the car seat and pack bags for the hospital, and then I feel like we'll be ready. 

I had my last bi-monthly doctors appointment on Tuesday. Baby still looks good, and my blood pressure and weight looks good as well. We are so grateful that everything continues to go smoothly. My next appointment will be the first of our weekly appointments. We only have four appointments left before my due date. It's going by fast!

34 Weeks

Sunday afternoon, we were sitting on the couch together watching a movie, when our little guy started moving like crazy. You could see my stomach moving underneath my shirt, so I pulled it up to get a better look. My skin was doing the wave as our little guy was moving inside of me. It was really fun to watch, and Brian especially was delighted to not only get to feel him move but to see him move as well. We spent a lot of time just watching and feeling him. We are SO excited to meet this little guy.

Brian is just so happy and excited for our little guy. He rubs my stomach every morning before leaving for work and says goodbye to the baby, and greets him the same way when he gets home from work. His excitement and happiness is so endearing. Have I mentioned yet how much I love this guy? He is going to be the best dad to our little boy.

I bought a bag of clementines during my weekly grocery shopping trip. I've eaten the whole bag myself. They are so good, and I can't get enough of them. I'm calling them my latest craving. My mouth is watering just thinking about them right now.

At work, Brian was given a line up of projects for the rest of the year. It's quite the heavy load, and he reminded them that he's going to be taking a week and a half off at some point the end of Nov or beginning of Dec for baby. Combine that with the long weekend off he gets for Thanksgiving and long weekend for Christmas, and that shortens these last two and half months considerably. He's been working late every night and brought home work on Saturday to try to make a dent and get ahead a bit, so that he can just leave work at work during all his time off. He doesn't want to even think of work during baby time. I hope he doesn't work himself into being so exhausted or sick that he can't relax during his time off.

We finished our childbirth prep class this week. We learned about postpartum care for ourselves, and honestly I'm more nervous about that than the actual labor! I'm also nervous that I'm going to be stressed about just letting things go for the first few weeks as I heal and adjust to having a baby. I"m one that likes to have everything in order and keep to a schedule, and I find I get stressed when that doesn't happen. I've already told Brian (and my Mom, who is coming to help) that they are going to have to remind me that it's okay to let things go. I'll probably be so exhausted and enamored with my little guy that it won't be a problem, but who knows. I guess we'll see.

35 Weeks

I experienced my first truly uncomfortable day this week. The baby decided that the perfect place to hang out all day on Sunday was up in my ribs. He pretty much stayed on the upper right side of my abdomen all day, and I just felt an uncomfortable pressure tinged with zings of pain throughout the day. That wasn't fun. No matter what I did, I couldn't get him to move. It was a hard day

He's big enough now, that you can easily tell where he is when you look at my stomach. Sometimes it looks lopsided when he's scooted towards one side or the other. It's really funny. 

At my doctor appointment this week, the ultrasound showed that the baby is doing well -- his heartbeat is still strong, there was plenty of amniotic fluid, and he is in the right position with head down facing my back. My doctor talked about contractions and when to come to the hospital--if I have contractions five minutes apart that last more than a couple hours. He said that at this point if I go into labor he probably won't do much to stop it...we're that far along. It was exciting, but a little nerve racking, to realize we're that close to the end!

36 Weeks

We installed the carseat in the car this week. It's crazy to see it in there when we get in the car, but also exciting. In just a few short weeks, we'll have a little guy riding around in it. 

      

We also finished packing our bags for the most part. There are a few odds and ends that we will throw in right before we go, like phone chargers, my make-up bag, etc. After finishing these last two things, I feel ready for baby to come. I don't feel like he's close to coming, I'm not really having any contractions real or otherwise, so it will be awhile yet. But now I can just relax and breathe for the next few weeks--and try not to become too impatient!

37 Weeks

So I've been uncomfortable for a bit now, but this week it's gotten worse. It's not just uncomfortable, but sometimes painful when he moves around. He has decided that my ribs are the place to be, and has just camped out there for the last few days. It's really exhausting to feel so uncomfortable all the time, and I may have had an emotional evening or two. I haven't really had any emotional breakdowns or overly hormonal moments during the pregnancy up to this point, which has been nice. This last week though has challenged that a bit.  

We had our first weekly doctor appointment on Tuesday. We weren't expecting any progress because I hadn't really had any contractions, just some back pain every now and again. But when the doctor checked me for dilation (ouch by the way!), I was dilated to a 2. We were pleasantly surprised. The ultrasound showed that baby is head down and facing the right direction. Things are starting to happen! The baby is still sitting really high though, so we're not expecting him anytime soon.

38 Weeks

I've experienced more back pain on and off throughout the week. Not everyday, but a bit more than before. It is always in my lower back and feels more like a steady cramping. I've been waiting to have Braxton-Hicks contractions or the more typical contractions that come and go and tighten my stomach, but haven't had any of that yet. 

Our doctor is out of town this week for Thanksgiving, so we met with one of his partners at our weekly appointment. He was alright, but we prefer our doctor. We're hoping that baby will hold off a week until our doctor is back in town. I'm still dilated to a 2, but am now 80 percent effaced. So progress is still being made. Baby is still sitting high, and it feels like every day he inches a little bit higher. He's moving the wrong way! I've find myself humming Johnny Cash's song Ring of Fire. The words "down, down, down, to the ring of fire" keep running through my head. Haha! Just trying to encourage the little guy to start to move in the opposite direction.

     

Kris and Layne came down for Thanksgiving, and Tom and Matt came over for dinner as well. We were very happy to get to spend the holiday with them. We pot-lucked dinner to lighten the work load for everyone and so we wouldn't have to miss out on any of our favorite dishes. Dinner turned out delicious, and I was so happy that I got to have a home-cooked turkey dinner. I love Thanksgiving and didn't want to miss it by being in the hospital.

39 Weeks

It's November 25th and I'm officially 39 weeks. It feels like I've been pregnant forever, yet at the same time I can't believe we're already at 39 weeks! Baby is still high, and I haven't felt anything pain wise for the last few days. I'm actually grateful for that just because it's Thanksgiving weekend and we have family in town. Once the holiday is over in a couple more days though, I think I'll be ready to get this show on the road and have this baby.  

Late in the day yesterday (Thanksgiving Day), I noticed that my feet were swollen. They're still a bit swollen today, which I'm not to excited about. I guess that just means we're really at the end. I'm glad that lovely symptom hasn't shown up before now.

I celebrated my birthday this week as well. I woke up with a tight chest and a cough...not what I was hoping to get for my birthday. I had a good day despite my cold. Kris made me a delicious lemon cake, and we had a small little party. I didn't feel great all day, so I slept a lot. Very low key.

     

I'm really hoping that I can get over this chest cold quickly. We are in the last week of the pregnancy and I don't fancy having a baby with a sore throat and congested chest. I've just been trying to sleep a lot and drink lots of liquids. I'm not sure what else to do.

Monday, November 28th we woke up to snow! I love the first snow of the season, and we got plenty of it. It was so pretty and I loved watching the big fluffy flakes fall throughout the day. I wanted to pull out all of our Christmas decorations and get the tree set up, but was on orders from Brian to take it easy. A good idea, since my cold was still going strong...


No comments:

Post a Comment