Saturday, September 4, 2010

Kansas...Day 2

Today was our first real touristy day. We hopped on the subway, which I think is fun to ride and made our way down to the tip of Manhatten. We could see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island across the water.

See the teeny tiny Statue of Liberty? Don't worry, we have a trip planned to see her up close and personal.



Very windy, but it felt so good after two days of humid, 95-degree heat.


Ellis Island

Statue of Liberty

We hung around Battery Park and watched some street performers and then made our way up Wall Street. The street performers called themselves The Positivity Brothers and said that they had been performing in Battery Park for 10 years. They were very funny and entertaining.




WWII Memorial in Battery Park

This used to be at the World Trade Center Buildings and was damaged when they fell and is now a memorial.






We saw the statue of the bronze bull near Wall St. Then worked our way past the New York Stock Exchange.






We came upon Tiffany's which was awesome. Of course we went inside. It's a lot smaller than you would think, but pretty and ritzy all the same. I think a nice diamond from Tiffany's would go well with my fur coat from Jackson Hole, Idaho. ;)



We then found Federal Hall where George Washington was sworn in as first president. It was really neat.





We found Trinity Church. I love the architecture! Everything is so big, it's crazy.



Federal Office Building

Then we found Ground Zero. We didn't get to see the actual ground of the site, which I was kind of disappointed about. There was a big fence surrounding the whole thing. But it was crazy to see the space where the buildings used to be.



We stopped at a hot dog cart and bought hot dogs. I had one without onions...I know, I know. Brian has harassed me about it all day. We'll be here for awhile longer and maybe I'll try them before we go. As hot dogs go it was good.



This was a cool statue in a little park right next to Ground Zero.


We then took a subway up to Columbus Circle, which is just on the southwest corner of central park. It was fun, and had more large buildings. This is Brian in front of Trump International Hotel, located in Columbus Circle. This picture shows only about half of the building.



I thought this one was pretty with the clouds reflecting off of it.


This one curves around the circle.


We made our way up Broadway looking for the temple. When we were in Lincoln Square ready to keep going, we realized that the temple was right in front of us. We almost missed it! It is different, but still really pretty. I like the feeling of Lincoln Square. It's still New York and teeming with bustling people, but there is a feeling of calmness there, from the temple. Its neat.






I told Brian today that every time we get off the subway in a new part of town, it's different. Different buildings and a different feel. You can be on one street that is really busy and touristy and then walk two blocks in either direction and it's not that way anymore. Weird how it changes that fast. Except the buildings...they are all still really tall.

We then made our way back to Central Park and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering there. It is a really neat place. Its weird to be in this huge park and have buildings towering above the trees the whole way around. We found out that there is a Carousel there and we put it on our list to take a ride.




There were also carriages taking people around the park which looked like fun. We'll have to save up for that though.



We were riding the subway on the way back to the apartment and there were these people sitting across from us looking worried and lost. They asked us for directions and Brian pointed them in the right direction. Brian giving directions in New York City! It was pretty cool. He's pretty proud of himself too. I think we have the subways down. They aren't hard, you just have to get used to it.

It was a fun day. We ended it by grabbing a slice of pepperoni pizza at a little place a couple of blocks from our apartment. I'm in love with pizza to begin with, but this was amazing. Large and yummy. :) I think I'm going to like New York just fine.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Jess!! I was sealed to my parents in that temple, its way cool! Im so jealous your on the east coast! Dont forget to go to Philly and grab a cheesesteak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts make me miss our trip to NY that we took last year. You've got to try eating at the Grey Dog. It's a cute little coffee shop-type place and it has delicious sandwiches! You've also got to rent bikes and go riding around Central Park. That was really fun for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, is that a National Honor Choir 2000 Carnegie Hall t-shirt on Brian!!!!????!!! I'll tell Jana B. that all her hard work organizing tour paid off. Baby grew up and went back to NYC.

    You guys look like you are having fun -- thrills!

    ReplyDelete