Monday the 20th we got up super early and went to CBS studios for the taping of The Early Show. I know it was dorky, but I've always wanted to...so we did. We met the bus at Times Square at about 6:50am and we were the only people on it. I started getting nervous, because I didn't actually want to be on TV, I just wanted to see them film it. So I was worried that we were going to be the only ones there that day and would stand out. However, when they dropped us off at the studios there were other people there. Whew! It was a lot of fun. We did end up being on TV, but it was okay.
Outside the studios waiting for the anchors to come out.
Dave Price the weather guy asked a trivia question to the crowd and whoever answered correctly won the surfboard. It was for their Hawaii 5-O promotion. Brian really wanted that surf board, but the guy just ended up walking to the people next to us and asking them the question. Brian was really disappointed when they won it.
After the show, we got to go on a tour of the studio. It is just one small room that they tape all of their segments in.
In front of the weather screen. They have an actual screen that is touch sensitive. Brian was itching to play with it...but he controlled himself.
We went over to the Apple store next. It wasn't ridiculously crowded this time, although it still was very busy.
This is looking up at the entrance from inside. The store is really neat. They have demo of all their products out so you can play with them. There were buttons everywhere... I was in heaven. For those of you who don't know, I love to push buttons. I know its silly, but I do. When I see a button it is so hard not to reach out and push it. When I was little I set off an alarm in a store because I couldn't help but push the button. I admit, I'm a weirdo. This was great.
We went back to Chinatown too because the weather was better. Here are a few pictures from that part of town.
I'm not sure if this was duck or chicken...probably some of both. There were stores like this all around and others with bins of meat that people were picking through.
Here is Brian...not soaking wet...at his favorite Chinese eatery. The food is SO cheap. You can get 10 dumplings for $2.00. That and a huge carton of noodles only costs $3.50.
Here I am trying a sesame pancake. It is basically a piece of fried bread folded in half to form a triangle. Inside is a slice of beef and vegetables covered in some kind of sauce that is sweet and spicy. It was yummy.
On the way back towards the subway, we ran into this carnival going on. It just kept going and going. At first it was Chinese food and stalls, but it turned into Italian food. I think we wandered into Little Italy also. The food smelled good, but we had already eaten. We plan to go back for some good Italian though.
There was a sideshow past the restaurants. We didn't go in but it looked interesting. Maybe we'll go see the Elephant Lady and the Fire-Eater another time.
We also found carnival rides set up in the streets. It was crazy to see a miniature ferris wheel between apartment buildings. This city is crazy, but I like it.



























I guess if you don't do the ferris wheel between the apartments, you can't have one at all, since that's the open space. Glad I don't have to drive there. Don't you hate when you're driving along and hit a ferris wheel?
ReplyDeleteI love to push buttons too, Jess! I love to do laundry and play the pipe order and use the computer for that reason. Fun!
Hi again -- Isn't it interesting how really little TV stuff is in real life -- the sets, the people, etc. It all looks so amazing and larger-than-life on the screen. And it's really just a little thing. The wizard behind the curtain.
ReplyDelete