Finally, here is the post about this wedding I've been talking so much about. I though about splitting it into two posts, but decided to just go for it and include everything here. So enjoy!
We awoke bright and early on August 2nd to multiple text messages from Annie telling us to, "wake up already because it's my wedding day!" Side story: when Annie was little I would wake her up in the mornings by flipping her ear repeatedly with my finger while saying "wake up Dumbo" in an annoyingly high, squeaky voice. She hated it, but it always made her laugh. Of course she started doing it back to me, and it has become our little inside joke. Well I got to do this to her a few times while we were there the week before the wedding. So when a few of the messages said, "WAKE UP DUMBO" I couldn't help but smile.
Jamie and I went with Annie that morning to watch her get her hair done. Sarah Hill, a neighbor in Chester, did her hair. It was fun spending some sister time with Annie and teasing her. Her hair turned out beautiful. Isn't she gorgeous!
We all met at the Rexburg Temple around 12:30, where we made our way to the waiting room. It was great to see more family and friends while we were waiting. Soon it was time, and the temple workers escorted everyone into the sealing room. We all sat there in silent anticipation with smiles on our faces, waiting for Annie and Jacob to come in. You could feel the excitement in the air.
Finally they appeared, and it made us all smile more to see them so happy. Annie did look a little wide-eyed though, I don't know if she was a bit nervous or overwhelmed or what. I haven't had the chance to ask her what she was feeling. The sealer, Sylvan Seeley, spoke for a bit, giving the couple some advice and council. It was all really good. I was especially struck when he said, "today a new family unit is being created." I just kept thinking what a powerful and amazing blessing the sealing power is, to join two people together for eternity, and to also bind any future children to them forever. The family is such a basic concept, but it has such influence on a individual's happiness and life, not to mention its impact on society. No wonder the family is essential to God's Plan of Happiness. It just made watching Annie and Jacob's sealing that much more special, to witness the sacred moment when a new family, their family, was formed. It was beautiful. Brian and I were holding hands, and we regularly caught each other's eye. I knew that he was remembering our own wedding day, as I was. I love how weddings always make us think of our own.
Afterwards, we got to congratulate them before we left the sealing room. I gave Annie the biggest hug. I felt so proud of her, and so much love for her at that moment. I still do. I hugged Jacob as well and welcomed him into the family. He might need a little more initiating ;), but we are glad to have him join the group. After Brian and I finished hugging them, we made our way out.
We all waited outside the temple's front doors for the new Mr. and Mrs. to emerge. It was a beautiful August day, and very warm at 90+ degrees. We all stuck to the shade of the temple's entrance, taking photos, laughing, and talking.
I got to see my Grandpa and give him a hug. I love that guy. They rounded up all of the great-grandkids and got a picture of them with him. The only ones not pictured were Rylee (my cousin Derrik's little girl), and Sophia (I think she wasn't wanting to leave her mom). I love this picture, but it makes me sad that my Grandma isn't still here with us. She would have loved all of these sweet kiddos.
We even got my Mom to sit down for a few minutes and relax after she came out from helping Annie get changed.
After a bit of a wait, the photographer ushered us all into the hot sunlight to form two welcoming rows for the bride and groom as they came out. Brian and I stayed near the front so that we could get some pictures and record them coming out. There was a lot of clapping and cheering as they exited.
Miss Kaylee was so excited about Annie's dress. She ran right up and said hello, and gave her a big hug.
After that, the pictures began. We had warned Annie and Jacob that their cheeks were going to hurt by the end of the day! I think they were beginning to realize that we weren't kidding.
The original eight (plus Jacob) -- Kiley, me, Dad, Jacob, Annie, Mom, Tyler, Jamie, and Luke.
| Siblings! |
| Group hug! |
The photographer wanted my brothers to kiss Annie on the cheek at the same time. They didn't want to at all. My brothers take after my Dad, and aren't openly affectionate. The best she could get them to do was hover their lips above her cheeks. Hahaha!
| Sisters! |
Jacob and Annie weren't the only ones getting tired of pictures. I found this little gem on our video camera when I was downloading the clips onto our computer. It made me laugh so hard!
We all headed to the luncheon after the family pictures were done, apparently none too soon for some. The photographer kept Annie and Jacob a little bit longer to get more photos. The luncheon was in Idaho Falls, and we had to wait a bit until the bride and groom arrived to eat. They served Hawaiian haystacks, and brownies and cheesecake for dessert. It was delicious!
After the luncheon we drove to St. Anthony for the reception, which was to be held in the LDS stake center there. The lady they rented decorations from had the reception all set up. We arrived ahead of Annie and Jake, and got to look around at everything before anyone was there. Annie did a fabulous job picking it all out. It was beautiful.
Annie and Jacob arrived shortly afterwards, and it was great to get to see their first reactions as they walked into the room. Annie was really happy with how it all turned out.
All us sisters crowded into the women's bathroom with Annie to help her fix her hair, makeup, and get her laced up into her dress again. It was fun, but I think Annie felt a little smothered after awhile. Hahaha! Kiley was there too, but she was the one taking the pictures. Sad I didn't get her in one. :(
Miss Kaylee even came in to help, but I think she was a bit confused about all that was going on.
All too soon, guests started arriving and Annie, Jacob, Mom, Dad, and Jacob's parents headed out to stand in line and greet everyone. Her cake had showed up while we were helping her get dressed, so I went over to look at it. It was very pretty! It was originally four layers, but the top layer started to melt and slide off as it was being delivered. Luckily, it was easily fixable, and unless you knew what happened, you couldn't tell that anything went wrong.
At one point during the reception, we noticed Kaylee playing with her stuffed puppy. She was dancing and would throw the puppy up in the air and try to catch it. It was so cute and I was recording her when apparently she decided that the puppy was hungry. The next thing we knew, she ran over to the cake and held puppy up so he could take a bite. Luckily, she didn't push his face too hard into the cake, so it didn't cause any damage. I was able to get the whole thing on video.
Annie chose to serve fresh fruit and cheesecake bites, along with lemonade mixed with blue Hawaiian punch at the reception. It was all delicious
The night before, was spent slicing the watermelon and balling the cantaloupe -- 15 watermelons and 30 cantaloupes to be precise. It took a good hour or two to get it all done, even with seven of us helping. We overestimated the amount of fruit we would need, and had tons leftover. We ate a lot of melon over the next few days.
At one point during the reception, I was looking for Brian, and headed to the kitchen to see if he was getting a snack. I not only found him, but all the guys hanging out having milkshakes! Someone (my Dad) had gone over to Big J's (the local burger restaurant) and gotten everyone a milkshake. They had just forgotten to inform any of us girls.
Speaking of my Dad, I caught him hiding his milkshake behind his back while standing in line. He would take a bite or two each time there was a break in the line of guests. Hahaha!
It's not the best picture because of the lighting, but here are all the menfolk taking a break. What a handsome group.
My mom was finally able to relax during the reception. Everything that she had been planning was pretty much taken care of at that point. I joined her for a bit while there was a pause between guests. Isn't she so pretty!
In between helping with the food, the guys were a bit bored during the reception. They sure perked up when it was time to decorate Jacob's car.
Yes, those are Keebler elf cookies. I don't think anyone else in the world does that, but my brothers always stick frosting filled cookies to the windows of the bride and groom's car. We got it when we got married, my brother got it, and my two sisters got it. Streamers, balloons, cans tied to the back of the car, and multiple layers of saran wrap wound around the car's entire middle finished the look. They stuck chocolate filling from the cookies to Jacob's key chain and stuck it to the driver's window underneath the plastic wrap, so he would have his key.
My little nephew Carson even got in on the action, drawing on the windshield.
Since our own wedding, Brian has become sensitive to car decorating. My brothers decided to wipe Vaseline under our car door handles during our reception. Instead of just wiping a little on, they fill the space under the handle with it. When Brian stuck his hand in to open the door for me, he was not a happy fellow. Hahaha! We cleaned our handles so well, but there was always some residue left. Dirt and grime would stick to the paint underneath and around the handles. I think it took at least a year for all of the Vaseline to come off. Anyway, after making a speech about not condoning any of the decorating, he finally gave in and tied some glow sticks to the car's antenna.
Annie just laughed when she saw the car, but Jacob didn't seem too happy. He was relieved that we'd left the inside untouched. I told my brothers that Jake said he was worried about what we would do to the interior, and their indignant reply was, "we would never touch the inside, we're not monsters!" Jake and his friends pulled most of the streamers and saran wrap off -- he had to in order to even open the doors, but he also cut off the string of pop cans hanging from the back. My dad casually walked over and tied the cans back on while Jake was distracted. Dad said that they needed the cans and to cut them off "just wasn't right." Hahaha!
At that point the reception was pretty much over, most of the guests had gone, and no one else had arrived. We helped Annie change out of her wedding dress, then all lined up outside to wave them off. Annie gave us all hugs and she and I both started to cry when we hugged. We realized at that moment that I would be leaving for NY before she got back from her honeymoon, and that it was the last time we would see each other for awhile. It was a bittersweet parting. They got in the car and drove off to a cacophony of clapping, cheering, and the clattering bang of cans hitting the pavement as the car sped away.
Our family went back inside for the after-party -- the cleanup. The reception decorators had come to take everything down, but we had to load up all the gifts and clean the kitchen. It was fun, just hanging out with everyone while working. We all went home and sat around and talked about what an awesome day it had been. And it was, a very good day indeed.

Everyone and everything was so beautiful!!! The bride, the groom, the dress, the hairdo, the wedding party's clothes, the colors, the flowers, the decorations, the tables, the food, the cake, all of it! So lovely! And -- there is no such thing as too many melon balls. Just ask my husband. And I'm not sure how I feel about Tim teaching Brian all those evil tricks. I am going to be checking behind Brian's back for a milkshake next time I see him.
ReplyDelete