Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sadie's Sealing

I got a phone call from my sister Kiley in April. She was so excited and nervous at the same time as she told me that she and Scott had been selected to adopt a baby girl. I was beyond ecstatic for them! They had been wanting a baby for a long time and had put their adoptions papers in a few months before. Finally they had gotten the call. 

The birth mother was due in one month so they only had four weeks to prepare. For all of us on the outside waiting for them, the weeks flew by really quickly. I'm not sure if it seemed that way for Kiley and Scott or not. They were busy buying baby stuff and my family held a baby shower for Kiley. The week before the baby's due date was the longest for them. Kiley and Scott were on pins and needles waiting and hoping that everything would go okay. The birth mother originally was going to deliver in Montana where she lived, but at the last minute (when she was 41 weeks) she decided to travel to Idaho to have the baby there. We were all praying that she wouldn't go into labor on the drive!

She made it just fine and her water broke a few hours later. The baby ended up being breech and was delivered by c-section. I remember Kiley and Scott being worried and stressed. However, everything went well and little Sadie Amelia was born. Kiley and Scott made it to the hospital right as Sadie was being born. They got to see her for the first time about 30 minutes later. 


Over the next couple of days, they pretty much lived at the hospital. They spent as much time as they could with little Sadie, getting to know her and loving on her.



Finally, the birth mother and baby were released from the hospital. I can't imagine the emotions that were present when the birth mother said goodbye to her baby and handed her over to Kiley and Scott. It had to have been such a bitter sweet thing. My heart breaks for the mom, just thinking about her having to say goodbye to her new little one. At the same time, I feel so happy for my sister--that she finally gets to be a mom. The mother couldn't have picked a better mom and dad for her sweet baby. Kiley got to know the birth mother over the month or so until Sadie was born, and she told me that the birth mother was such a strong girl. You would have to be to make that decision.

Kiley and Scott were so happy to get to finally take Sadie home. I was so jealous of all of my family members who got to meet her right away. Kiley sent Brian and I lots of pictures though, so we got to watch her grow over her first two months. She is such a doll, and many of the pictures, especially those that showed her soft, velvety, wrinkly head, made me melt inside and my arms ached to hold her.

     


     

We were so excited that we would get to meet this little sweetheart while we were in Idaho for Annie's wedding, and even more so when we learned we would get to attend the temple with Kiley and Scott and Sadie when they were sealed together.

August 1st was a bright, beautiful day. My family all met at the Rexburg Temple with Kiley, Scott, Sadie and Scott's family. The sealing room was filled with love, happiness, excitement and joy as little Sadie was brought in and sealed to her parents for time and all eternity, and by default made an official member of our family. It was a beautiful ceremony and I teared up as soon as little Sadie appeared and the sealer began the ordinance. Kiley was beautiful and beaming and I don't think I've ever seen Scott smile so big. I looked around and my mom and all of my sisters were crying as well. It was such a special moment and I'm so glad we got to be a part of it. 

After the ceremony, we all waited outside the temple's doors. Scott and Kiley got to bring little Sadie outside while they were still wearing their white temple clothes for a few pictures. Don't they look so happy! What a beautiful family.




    

Afterwards, we went to the BYU-I gardens to take some family pictures. Here is a shot of the happy family.


Two days later, on August 3rd (my Mom's birthday), Scott blessed Sadie in Sacrament Meeting. Here is a picture of them afterwards.


We are so happy for Scott, Kiley and Sadie. It's been so great to see them become parents and to welcome Sadie into our family. Kiley and Scott are so blessed to have such a sweet daughter, and Sadie is blessed to have such amazing parents. We love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. Congratulations to all, including the birth mother for making such a courageous and loving decision.

    ReplyDelete