Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Feeding Fish at Warm River

One of my family's favorite summer activities while us kids were growing up, was to go to Warm River and feed the fish. Our parents would take us up on a Sunday afternoon after church, and we would feed a loaf or two of bread to the fish in the creek. We kids always looked forward to this, and I remember being so excited when my Dad would tell us it was time to go feed the fish.

It's been probably fifteen to twenty years since I've been to Warm River to feed the fish. I haven't even thought of it in years. So when my Dad suggested we take the kiddos up to feed the fish, I was super excited and jumped at the chance to go. We drove up one evening, a couple of days before Annie's wedding. 


The section of Warm River where the hungry fish swim, sits along State Highway 47 on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, by the Warm River Bridge. Fishing is not allowed there. I was wondering about the origins of this tradition and found the story on TRR Outfitter's Website. It reads: 
"In the 1920's, Fred and Berta Lewies built a store and auto service station in the tiny town of Warm River, where they homesteaded and began what is now Three Rivers Ranch. Without electricity, Fred and Berta constructed a wooden box and placed it into the cold water of Warm River to keep milk, soda, and other fresh items cool. Fred and Berta would often stand on the box and throw bread or left over popcorn from the convenience store into the river to fish below. As trout numbers increased, other travelers would stop and feed the fish. At that time, the section of river, just below the bridge was not closed to fishing. Fred and Berta would kindly request that anglers bypass this area so that others could enjoy feeding the trout. The Idaho Fish and Game eventually closed this section of the river to anglers and the land that the observation deck sets on was donated to the state by Harry and Lillian Lewies, Fred and Berta's son and daughter in law. The Idaho Fish and Game built a large platform that now serves as a place to feed the fish and to protect this attraction."

It was a beautiful evening, and we all had so much fun. I always love seeing experiences through new eyes, and I got to see the excitement and magic of feeding the fish for the first time through the eyes of Carson, Kaylee, and Brian. We've been married eight years now and I'd never taken Brian to feed the fish -- or even told him about it. He seemed a little hurt that I hadn't shared something so unique and fun with him. Haha! Afterwards, he said that he now officially felt like part of the family! (He was mostly teasing.)


We had the place to ourselves for quite a while. The fish were hungry and gobbled up the two loaves of bread and cupful of dog food we brought with us in no time. 




The kids really got into it, especially Carson. Sometimes he would get impatient with throwing small pieces in and would chuck the whole slice of bread in. Haha! It was hilarious to see a whole piece floating past. Kaylee would throw a piece of bread in every so often, but mostly she would just eat it.





Luke and Danny both tried their hand at catching a fish -- but were unsuccessful.









My Dad and Kaylee held hands to whole way home! I know she isn't in a car seat, but we were driving on the back roads at like 30 miles an hour, and we were all squished in two cars, and we made it home just fine. :)


It is such a simple thing, feeding bread to fish, but it is great fun, especially when you get to do it with your family. It makes for great family time, and always ends up being a sweet memory.

Here are a couple videos of the fun. (I know I need to work on my videography skills. Sorry it's so shaky!)



1 comment:

  1. Sooooo -- fish like dog food? I wonder if dogs like fish food? I might try giving Archy some to find out. We fed the fish with Oliver last week at Thanksgiving Point. Super fun, but this spot in Idaho looks glorious. I can't recall feeding fish with Brian when he was a child. Deprived childhood. The little kids look like they are having a wonderful time. So do the big kids. What a pretty evening.

    ReplyDelete