Thursday, December 2, 2010

Creepy Crawly

I hate bugs....I mean REALLY hate bugs! So naturally when I encounter one of the creepy, crawly little guys I tend to freak out. Not only do I hate them, but I am super afraid of killing them. First off, I don't want to get as close to them as you need to in order to do the job. Bad things can happen when you are that close to a bug. For example, they can jump on you or try to fly away and land on you.

Then there is the crunchy sound they make when you squish them which is just gross. I'm getting all goose-bumpy just thinking about it...yuck! Once when I was younger, I was laying stomach down on the grass reading a book, when I felt something tickling me between my collar bone. I thought it was just a piece of grass so I grabbed at it through my shirt and heard and felt a horrible crunch. The blade of grass turned out to be a daddy-long-leg spider who had crawled inside my shirt. I had pinched him between my fingers. So there in lies the root of my phobia of killing bugs. I never want to be that close to one again!

So yesterday when I walked into our bedroom and saw movement out of the corner of my eye, I felt my skin start to crawl. That's right, there was a nasty beetle of some sort trying very quickly to crawl out of sight under our bed.

These are the thoughts that ran through my head in that moment that felt like an eternity but in reality was only three seconds...

Maybe if I just walk back out of the room and pretend I didn't see anything, it will just go away and not bother me ever again. As I was contemplating this thought, the next horrifying imaged popped into my mind. I could see myself peacefully laying in bed fast asleep and then the creepy beetle crawling across my face and into my mouth. :S Okay so no, I can't just leave it alone. What am I going to do, what am I going to do? Aha! I will get the broom and sweep it back out from under the bed. Must not let him get away. Maybe I can be brave and kill him.....

I quickly retrieved the broom from the kitchen, and holding by the very end of the handle I stuck it under the bed and swept the little guy back into sight. But what to do now. My braveness dissolved rather quickly at the sight of his wriggly legs, and my determination to squish him with it. Then I had a brilliant idea, I can't kill it, and I don't want it to get away so I will capture it until Brian comes home and takes care of it for me. So back into the kitchen I went for a paper cup. Yes, brilliant! I had to sweep the little guy back out from under the bed again, and then with very shaky hands, bent down and put the cup upside down over him.

And there it stayed until Brian got home and killed it for me! :)

THE END

1 comment: